Subject: icon title not updating

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:29:11 -0600

This time it is icon title, not icon pixmap, that is not updating.

I use kppp (since I failed to script pppd myself for my new provider).
When connected, kppp's "Connecting..." window is replaced with a
connection status window. This last window sets both window title and icon
title every minute. The text is "Provider HH:MM".

The usual FVWM's behaviour was to update the window title immediately,
but leave the icon title as for the first change, i.e. "Provider 00:00",
at least this is how it looked. Iconifying/deiconifying an icon didn't
affect the icon title. Recapture updated the icon title to HH:MM.

With the current CVS (started several days ago), the icon title is now
"Untitled" on Capture/Recapture. Then after a period of up to minute the
title is changed from "Untitled" to the usual one.

Of course in theory both behaviours are not good, it would be nice if the
change in icon title would happen dynamically just like for window title.
But at least the old behaviour was better (there was no Untitled title).

More. With kppp option "Show Clock on Caption" _unchecked_, the icon title
was always "Provider". Now it is always "Untitled" and even Recapture does
not change it. The previous window had the icon title "Connecting to:
Provider", not it is "Untitled" as well.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:21:40 +0100

> Provider", not it is "Untitled" as well.

I wrote a test application to test icon updates and it works
perfectly for me with current CVS.  Could you try to debug this,
Mikhael?  The relevant code is in add_window.c (setup_icon) and
events.c (HandleProperyNotify, XA_WM_ICON_NAME setcion).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, email: [email-masked]
LifeBits Aktiengesellschaft, Albrechtstr. 9, D-72072 Tuebingen
fon: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-0, fax: ++49 (0) 7071/7965-20
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:09:42 -0600

On 19 Jan 2001 13:21:40 +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:
> perfectly for me with current CVS.

But then your test application does not test the case when no icon name
is set at all, and the icon name is taken from the window name. :)
This is what happens here. Only window name is set, never icon name.

> Could you try to debug this, Mikhael?  The relevant code is in
> add_window.c (setup_icon) and events.c (HandleProperyNotify,
> XA_WM_ICON_NAME setcion).

Ok, I have fixed all described problems.

The first one was a simple bug, your new get_name_property returns NoName
now, and the code supposed it returns NULL, as it was before.
This fixed all recent "Untitled" problems, when no icon name is set.

I also went further, and implemented a synchronization of the window name
and icon name, when no icon name is provided. The old behaviour was to
update only on the first window name change. I did this by adding a new
window flag "was_icon_name_provided".

My icon title tests work well. It would be nice if you verify this too.

Regards,
Mikhael.