Subject: strange fvwmm4 suspicion

From: "Nils Lohner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:25:58 +0100

I'm running on
~ > uname -a
SunOS topaze 5.7 Generic_106541-02 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
~ > fvwm2 -version
FVWM version 2.3.28 compiled on Jan 26 2001 at 14:33:24
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, GNOME WM hints, SM

Sometimes when logging in (I'm using the graphical login for solaris), 
the X server dies and I need to log in again, at which point the 
session starts up normally.  This has happened since around .24 or .25 
I think.  I never thought much of it, but today something else 
happened:  I lost many colors ('Could not allocate' errors) such as 
MediumAquamarine which I use for network tools.

The startup when I get kicked out of X looks as follows in the log:
~ > cat tmp/restart/topaze_DISPLAY=:0
-- Session log created Fri Jan 26 20:23:54 MET 2001
OpenWindows Desktop Login
using xinitrc file: /u/lohner/.xinitrc
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

~ > tail .xinitrc
...
exec /sup/bin/fvwm2

Should fvwm2 be exec'ed here, or just run?

I logged out and in a few times, etc. but nothing changed it.  Looking 
in /tmp, I saw a fvwmasdGh file (something like that- fvwm and random 
letters).  The file looks like it contains the m4 processed part of the 
fvwmrc file.  I deleted it, logged out and in, and the startup happened 
normally.

I'd like to know what generates this file and how its used.  I'll keep 
a look out for when it appears, and see if X startup failures occur 
when that file exists.  Any other information about this issue is 
appreciated.  I'll let you know when I find out more.

Thanks,
Nils.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Nils Lohner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:06:16 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>, "Nils 
Lohner" write
s:
...
>MediumAquamarine which I use for network tools.

They are two separate problems.  Seems that .28 may have introduced 
something that messes with the colormap, or eats a lot of colors?  I 
run a basic setup with just the pager module.

Nils.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:29:54 -0500

> run a basic setup with just the pager module.

Unless you are using gradients in fvwm, I doubt its fvwm.

I've found lots of programs that like to grab every color in
sight.  Netscape will grab every free color.
Framemaker will grab a large chunk of the colormap in its
default setup.  Anything tk based (like exmh) grabs varying amounts
of color.  The more colors free, the more it grabs.

In a separate mail
I've sent you a program thats helped me on occasion find the colormap
culprit.

Sometimes you have to exit X, not just fvwm to free up all the colors.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Nils Lohner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:43:42 +0100

In message <[email-masked]>, Dan Espen 
>Unless you are using gradients in fvwm, I doubt its fvwm.

I'm not.  It seems that something changed my display from 24 bit back 
to 8 bit.  I have no clue how/what. Now that I've reset it, 
everything's working fine again.  The restart problem I'll look into 
next week when people begin to log in and out more.

...
>I've sent you a program thats helped me on occasion find the colormap

...the program doesn't seem to work with 24 bit display:
~/tmp/colormap > ./colormap 
Your default visual is not set for color display
number of colorcells = 0
Continue anyway?y
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Serial number of failed request:  7
  Current serial number in output stream:  8
~/tmp/colormap > m64config -prconf

--- Hardware Configuration for /dev/fbs/m640 ---
ASIC: version 0x7c004750
DAC: version 0x0
PROM: version 104
Card possible resolutions:  720x400x88, 640x480x60, 640x480x72, 
640x480x75
        800x600x56, 800x600x60, 800x600x72, 800x600x75, 1024x768x87
        1024x768x60, 1024x768x70, 1024x768x75, 1280x1024x75, 
1280x1024x60
        1152x900x66, 1152x900x76, 1280x1024x67, 1600x1280x76
        1920x1080x72, 1280x800x76, 1440x900x76, 1600x1000x66
        1600x1000x76, 1920x1200x70, 1280x1024x85, 1280x1024x76
        1152x864x75, vga, svga, 1152, 1280, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024
        1152x900, 1600x1280, 1920x1080, 1600x1000, 1920x1200
Possible depths:  8, 24
Current resolution setting: 1152x900x76
Current depth: 24

Thanks,
Nils.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:20:27 +0100

> >MediumAquamarine which I use for network tools.

Since you're exec'ing fvwm, this may happen when fvwm dies
unexpectedly.  Any traces of a reason for this?  Anything on the
console or a new core file?

> something that messes with the colormap, or eats a lot of colors?

Probably no.  We didn't mess with any code related to colours for
many months.  The only possible culprit might be gradient menu
backgrounds, especially DGradient or BGradient backgrounds.  If
that holds true the problem would go away when using a plain solid
background in menus.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 04:23:29 +0100

> fvwmrc file.  I deleted it, logged out and in, and the startup happened 

I think these files are generated by the preprocessor and removed
as soon as the preprocessor module has finished.  If these are
left on the filesystem this means that fvwm has died before it
finished to read the file.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^