Subject: 'Fvwm Pager' or 'FvwmPager' ??

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 16:43:08 +0100 (CET)

Dear FVWM experts,

I've discovered that the name of the Pager window is 'Fvwm Pager' and not
'FvwmPager' (see x_pager.c: char *pager_name = "Fvwm Pager").

I think that the version 'FvwmPager' should be used also here, since it's
more 'standard'.

I was trying to make the Pager sticky using 'Style FvwmPager Sticky' without
success .... usually my Pager is swallowed in FvwmButtons, so I never noticed
it before.

The fact is (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Style is matched
first with the window name, and then with the Class and Resource (which
are correct in the Pager).

What do you think ?

cheers,
Giuseppe.

PS
Please CC if you need a fast reply: I'm not on the list.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 19:06:36 -0600

> I think that the version 'FvwmPager' should be used also here, since it's

The string "Fvwm Pager" is only used if no user desk labels are specified.
There are no standards here. For example, FvwmScript tools usually set the
name to some human-readable string.

> are correct in the Pager).

Not quite. Since in the style line you can only specify one pattern (name,
resource or class), you may always assume that these names are processed
concurrently. Order between class and resource simply is not defined.

Order, however, is important between different style lines. The last
matching line (no matter whether it was name, resource or class) wins.

If your 'Style FvwmPager Sticky' line does not work, maybe it is because
you have later something like: 'Style Fvwm* Slippery', which wins?

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:02:59 +0100 (CET)

Hi Mikhael,

during my tests on 'Restart' yesterday I've (also) tried the following minimal
.fvwm2rc:

---
DestroyFunc InitFunction
AddToFunc InitFunction    I Echo Starting fvwm ...
+                         I Module FvwmPager 0 4

DestroyFunc RestartFunction
AddToFunc RestartFunction I Echo Restarting fvwm ...
+                         I Module FvwmPager 0 4

AddToMenu MenuFvwmRoot "test1"            Restart
+                      "test2"            Restart --dont-preserve-state
---

then I edited .fvwm2rc (from within a session of fvwm2), added
'Style FvwmPager Sticky' and restarted fvwm2 (with 'test1'), and FvwmPager was
still non-Sticky.

So I started looking for a reason, and assumed (wrongly !) that the problem was
in the window-name (I know, I should have made more tests before
complaining !!!).

Now I see that if I restart using 'test2' (i.e. '--dont-preserve-state') the
Sticky-ness is correctly applied to the Pager.

Sorry. I assumed that a plain 'Restart' was going to apply the Sticky flag.

Regards,
Giuseppe.

PS
I don't see why using "Fvwm Pager" in the window name is better than using
"FvwmPager", but I agree with you that it looks like it's not  at all
'critical'.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 08:08:43 +0100

> Sorry. I assumed that a plain 'Restart' was going to apply the Sticky flag.

Gee, that's why I introduced the --dont-preserve-state option at
all :-)

> "FvwmPager", but I agree with you that it looks like it's not  at all

I don't see a real reason either, but since there may be setups
that rely on the space, it's better not to change it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]