Subject: UTF-8 in fvwm-menu-desktop

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 14:56:56 +0100

Hello,
KDE2 desktop entries used UTF-8 encoding for the name
of the applications. For latin-1 language I can do the
translation as follow:

 $label =~ tr/\x{00}-\x{ff}//UC;

my first question is: does this work with perl 5.002?
My second question is: how can I do with other charsets
than latin-1?
A link to a good doc on the subject is welcome.

Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 19:47:41 +0200

> my first question is: does this work with perl 5.002?

Both curly brackets in \x, and U, C options of tr are only introduced in
perl 5.6.0, released some months ago.

> A link to a good doc on the subject is welcome.

I can only suggest to take a look at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/unicode/
directory, which has many resources. I should learn myself yet...
ReadMe.txt suggests ftp://ftp.unicode.org/Public/ .

Regards,
Mikhael.