Subject: 'nother .25 crash and log on solaris

From: "Nils Lohner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:56:52 +0100

First off:  is this information useful?  I can't reproduce the problem 
reliably, but it does seem to happen fairly often (daily, twice 
daily...)  I can't get CVS access because I'm firewalled, and FTP 
mirroring is slow (I'll retry tomorrow when the ease coast is asleep) 
so running the test suite isn't possible right now.

Are these reports helpful?  What else can I do to track the problem 
down further?  I'm going to start looking at the code to see if I can 
put more printf's in or something to give me more info since running 
fvwm under gdb for half a day doesn't sound possible (is it?)  Any 
other suggestions?

Sorry for all these messages to the list, but I can't think of what 
else to do...

Thanks,
Nils.

~ > cd /sup/installed/fvwm-2.3.25/fvwm/
/sup/installed/fvwm-2.3.25/fvwm > tail log-lohner-2000-12-13-2 
[FVWM][My_XNextEvent]: <<DEBUG>> executing module comand queue
[FVWM][My_XNextEvent]: <<DEBUG>> taking care of queued up events & 
returning (2)
[FVWM][DispatchEvent]: <<DEBUG>> Routine Entered
[FVWM][HandleConfigureRequest]: <<DEBUG>> Routine Entered
[FVWM][DispatchEvent]: <<DEBUG>> Leaving Routine
[FVWM][My_XNextEvent]: <<DEBUG>> Routine Entered
[FVWM][My_XNextEvent]: <<DEBUG>> taking care of queued up events & 
returning (1)
[FVWM][DispatchEvent]: <<DEBUG>> Routine Entered
[FVWM][HandleConfigureRequest]: <<DEBUG>> Routine Entered
/usr/dt/config/Xsession.ow2[45]: 363 Bus Error(coredump)
/sup/installed/fvwm-2.3.25/fvwm > 

/sup/installed/fvwm-2.3.25/fvwm > gdb fvwm2 core-lohner-2000-12-13-2 
GNU gdb 4.18
Copyright 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and 
you are
welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain 
conditions.
Type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for 
details.
This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.7"...
Core was generated by `/sup/bin/fvwm2'.
Program terminated with signal 10, Bus Error.
Reading symbols from /sup/lib/libXpm.so.4.11...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/openwin/lib/libSM.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/openwin/lib/libICE.so.6...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.0...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.so.4...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libsocket.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libm.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libc.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libdl.so.1...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libmp.so.2...done.
Reading symbols from /usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-5_10/lib/libc_psr.so.1...d
one.
#0  0x2c654 in remove_window_from_stack_ring (t=0xaaa78) at stack.c:143
143       t->stack_prev->stack_next = t->stack_next;
(gdb) where
#0  0x2c654 in remove_window_from_stack_ring (t=0xaaa78) at stack.c:143
#1  0x2cbcc in RaiseOrLowerWindow (t=0xaaa78, do_lower=0, 
allow_recursion=1,
    is_new_window=0) at stack.c:442
#2  0x2cf8c in RaiseWindow (t=0xaaa78) at stack.c:633
#3  0x3167c in HandleConfigureRequest () at events.c:2093
#4  0x32068 in DispatchEvent (preserve_Tmp_win=0) at events.c:2503
#5  0x32134 in HandleEvents () at events.c:2543
#6  0x5142c in main (argc=-4263576, argv=0x78400) at fvwm.c:730
(gdb) l
138     }
139     
140     /* Remove a window from the stack ring */
141     void remove_window_from_stack_ring(FvwmWindow *t)
142     {
143       t->stack_prev->stack_next = t->stack_next;
144       t->stack_next->stack_prev = t->stack_prev;
145       return;
146     }
147     
(gdb) p *t
$1 = {name = 0x380013f <Address 0x380013f out of bounds>, 
  icon_name = 0x3800141 <Address 0x3800141 out of bounds>, next = 
0x60000000,
  prev = 0x9292201, stack_next = 0x0, stack_prev = 0x86042421, w = 0, 
  old_bw = 3, frame = 2, decor_w = 58720580, Parent = 58720581, 
  title_w = 58720582.....etc....etc....

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:26:32 -0500

> Sorry for all these messages to the list, but I can't think of what 

I don't think more stack traces or prints  of the FvwmWindow structure
are  useful.   Everything  we've seen so   far,  seems to  indicate an
FvwmWindow structure   that contains  junk.    When Purify  saw  these
errors, what it  first  showed is  that the area  in question  was  an
FvwmWindow structure, but the memory for that structure got freed, but
it was still being used.

If thats whats happening, the first few uses, won't cause a core dump,
its only after that free memory gets used for something else, that a
core dump becomes likely.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]