Subject: FvwmAnimate doesn't animate (2.3.24+)

From: "Andreas M. Kirchwitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 23:40:39 +0100

Dear FVWM workers!

I'm using FVWM 2.3.x on my Linux 2.2.18 system (XFree86 4.0.1),
compiled with GCC 2.96 (./configure --prefix=/usr/local).

The problem is that FvwmAnimate seems to have a bug for the very
first animation of each window. The first time a window is
iconified (after initial start or restart of Fvwm/FvwmAnimate),
the graphical iconification sequence is not shown. The funny thing
is, the window doesn't just go from uniconified to iconified state
within some milliseconds, but it disappears from the screen for
the amount time the animation sequence would have taken.

All further animations (second, third, fourth time etc.) are shown
as expected.

It's very easy to reproduce. Start (or restart) FVWM 2.3.24+,
start a xterm, iconify it (keypress, button, menu - doesn't
matter) - viola, FvwmAnimate doesn't show anything. Then
uniconify it - now it works.

On my system, the FvwmAnimate module is run via InitFunction
and RestartFunction (no additional parameters). In my .fvwm2rc,
I use "*FvwmAnimateEffect Turn" but it happens with any other
animation type as well.

Up to FVWM 2.3.22, everything was fine. FVWM 2.3.23, I never
tried. So, I saw the bug first in FVWM 2.3.24, and it still exists
in FVWM 2.3.25.

I've tried to copy the old FvwmAnimate 2.3.22 binary over the
FVWM 2.3.25 installation. But the problem doesn't go away. Looks
like a problem in FVWM itself, not in FvwmAnimate.

	Greetings, Andreas
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 20:13:25 -0500

> the amount time the animation sequence would have taken.

I just tried this and don't see the problem.
Somtimes the animation can be hard to spot, try increasing the line
thickness and delay so that the animation is really obvious.

Sometimes the X-OR pattern used can be hard to spot, try a solid color
on a black background.

I'm using current CVS.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Andreas M. Kirchwitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 07:56:18 +0100

> I just tried this and don't see the problem.

I'm running RedHat 7.0 (fresh install) with a self-compiled
FVWM 2.3.25. I created a new user with the following .xinitrc:

	xterm &
	fvwm2

And the following .fvwm2rc:

	AddToFunc       InitFunction
	+       "I"     Module FvwmAnimate

	AddToFunc       RestartFunction
	+       "I"     Module FvwmAnimate

	Key F5          A       M       Iconify

 > Sometimes the X-OR pattern used can be hard to spot, try a solid color
 
I know these issues, but in this case it's none of them. ;-)
With the setup mentioned above, the first time I hit "ALT F5" on
the single xterm window, the animation isn't shown. After that,
if I hit "ALT F5", the animation is rendered perfectly fine
(for iconify and uniconify operation).

Since it worked okay until 2.3.23 (in the meantime I've tested that)
and stopped working since 2.3.24 (tried with the setup above), it
looks like a problem in FVWM itself and not with configuration issues.

Maybe the initialization of the FvwmAnimate module has changed in
some way. It's remarkable that the animation problem only occurs
the first time a window is iconified. All further iconifications
of a window work correctly.

 > I'm using current CVS.

I installed the current CVS snapshot (pre-2.3.26, a few hours ago)
as well - the problem still exists.

Well, maybe it's not a problem with FVWM but with something else.
However, a code change between 2.3.23 and 2.3.24 triggered the problem.
Now the interesting question is: What exactly caused the problem? ;-)

	Greetings and Merry Christmas ... Andreas

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 00:04:28 +0100

> Now the interesting question is: What exactly caused the problem? ;-)

The problem was caused by the code grabbing keys and buttons on
newly created icon windows.  Thus occured only when the icon was
created, in other words: when it was iconified the first time.
The reason is simply that on some servers it is apparently
necessary to call XFlush() or XSync() after XGrabServer() or
XUngrabServer() if the (un)grab should take effect immediately.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 21:30:59 +0100

> I just tried this and don't see the problem.

I see this too and already noticed a few days ago when I
investigated Tim's problem with FvwmAnimate.

> Sometimes the X-OR pattern used can be hard to spot, try a solid color

It looks as if FvwmAnimate does not flush the request queue for
the first animation.  The delays are there, and the animation is
as well, but it starts much too late and then is so fast that it
is hard to spot.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^