Subject: Window Manager Spec v. 1.0 now available

From: "Nils Lohner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:31:17 +0100

Don't know if everyone saw this or not... will FVWM implement this as 
well?

Nils.

http://lwn.net/daily/wmspec.php3

To: [email-masked], [email-masked],
Subject: Window Manager Spec v. 1.0 now available
From: Havoc Pennington <[email-masked]>
Date: 09 Dec 2000 18:00:35 -0500

Hi,

On behalf of freedesktop.org, the GNOME Project, and the KDE Project,
I'm happy to announce that version 1.0 of the freedesktop.org extended
window manager hints specification (EWMHS) is now available. This
document specifies extensions to the Inter-Client Communication
Conventions Manual (ICCCM) which allow desktop environments to
implement features such as pagers, task lists, or full-color icons via
communication with the window manager.

The EWMHS has already been implemented by many window managers,
including kwin and Sawfish, the window managers associated with the
KDE and GNOME projects.  We believe the specification is an important
step forward in X desktop interoperability, achieved thanks to the
collaborative spirit of the free software community.

You can find the EWMHS here:

  http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec.html

This spec is the first document produced by freedesktop.org, and was
developed with the help of window manager developers, GNOME
developers, KDE developers, and X Window System developers. The
following contributors are listed in the Credits section of the
specification:

  Sasha Vasko
  Bradley T. Hughes
  Dominik Vogt
  Havoc Pennington
  Jeff Raven
  Jim Gettys
  John Harper
  Julian Adams
  Matthias Ettrich
  Micheal Rogers
  Nathan Clemons
  Tim Janik
  Tomi Ollila
  Sam Lantinga
  The Rasterman
  Paul Warren
  Owen Taylor
  Marko Macek
  Greg Badros
  Matthias Clasen
  David Rosenthal

Special thanks to Trolltech for sponsoring Bradley T. Hughes's work on
the specification and a Qt-independent sample implementation now used
by KDE 2.0. Also, special thanks to Julian Adams for doing a lot of
organizational and editorial work to move the spec forward.

Thanks to everyone who helped with this effort!

Havoc

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Dec 2000 13:02:03 -0500

%% "Nils Lohner" <[email-masked]> writes:

  nl> Don't know if everyone saw this or not... will FVWM implement this as 
  nl> well?

I expect it will at some point... note that there are a few FVWM workers
listed in the credits.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:27:44 +0100

> I expect it will at some point... note that there are a few FVWM workers

Well, frankly my enthusiasm about this spec quickly diminished
when I found out that everybody who has different ideas than
Matthias Ettrich from the KDE developers was simply told to shut
up.  I don't think this was written to improve usability but to
help application programmers to enforce their ideas of how windows
have to behave.  Anybody willing to implement this as an option is
welcome, but I won't do it myself.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]