Subject: FvwmForm preload option?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 04:53:38 +0100

Does anybody know what the undocumented option 'preload' of the
FvwmForm module does?  Looking at the code my guess is that it
will simply break the module since it will prevent that the main
window is ever mapped.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:33:23 -0500

> will simply break the module since it will prevent that the main

When you start FvwmForm with the the preload option, the window isn't
mapped until you send it the "map" command.  To make the form hide again
you send it the "unmap" command, or to make it really terminate, you
send it the "stop" command.

The map, unmap, and stop commands are listed in the man page with
a warning not to use them.  Since I left out the preload command line
option, I increased the odds that the commands wouldn't be used. :)

Preload works really  well  for increasing the speed   of FvwmForm.  I
used to use FvwmForm this way on a really slow  system.  It can make a
form appear as fast as a menu.

I didn't document this because I was unhappy with the way this feature
changed the form.  The quit buttons on the form have  to be changed to
continue buttons,   and the command has  to  include  unmap.   It just
seemed like there  might be a  better way to  design this.  (Something
more transparent.)

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570