Subject: ConfigFvwmDefaults search path

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 14:26:47 +0100 (CET)

Dear FVWM experts,

let's say I've compiled FVWM2 on machine A, using:

configure --prefix=${HOME_A}

HOME_A=/home_a/dellaric

I've installed it and everything is fine. Than I've copied all the
structure of files in ${HOME_A}/bin ${HOME_A}/lib ${HOME_A}/libexec/fvwm
${HOME_A}/share/fvwm on machine B, in  ${HOME_B}/.

HOME_B=/home_b/dellaric

Starting fvwm2 on machine B I get:

[FVWM][Read]: <<ERROR>> file
'/home_a/dellaric/share/fvwm/ConfigFvwmDefaults' not found in
/home_b/dellaric/.fvwm or /home_a/dellaric/share/fvwm

I've tried linking ${HOME_B}/.fvwm ->  ${HOME_B}/share/fvwm , without
success.

I think this is coming from fvwm/fvwm.c (around line 972):

"Read "FVWM_DATADIR"/ConfigFvwmDefaults",

I think "Read" is already looking also in FVWM_DATADIR, so maybe one
should change this line to just:

"Read ConfigFvwmDefaults",

cheers,
Giuseppe.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 08:44:59 -0500

> "Read ConfigFvwmDefaults",

The reason it uses the full path is to stop users from using this
file as an .fvwm2rc replacement.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 01:24:10 +0200

> I've tried linking ${HOME_B}/.fvwm ->  ${HOME_B}/share/fvwm , without

FVWM searches in FVWM_DATADIR (i.e. ${HOME_A}/share/fvwm) and FVWM_USERDIR
(i.e. ~/.fvwm), it does not know anything about ${HOME_B}.

> "Read ConfigFvwmDefaults",

This will not help, since ConfigFvwmDefaults is not in your search path.
Sorry, but you should rerun configure for every machine. You may do this
on the same machine A if you wish (and if B is the same arch as A). Say:

  # install on machine A, just like you did
  ./configure --prefix=${HOME_A}
  make
  make install

  # you don't want to build anything on machine B, so prepare this on A
  ./configure --prefix=${HOME_B}
  make
  make install prefix=/tmp/for-B

Now, you can copy /tmp/for-B/* on machine A to ${HOME_B} on machine B.
And everything should work on both machines.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Giuseppe Della Ricca <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 09:37:04 +0100 (MET)

Hi !

> (i.e. ~/.fvwm), it does not know anything about ${HOME_B}.

even if I put ConfigFvwmDefaults in FVWM_USERDIR (i.e. ~/.fvwm) it doesn't
work, because the Read is looking for FVWM_DATADIR/ConfigFvwmDefaults and
not simply for ConfigFvwmDefaults ... that's the point ...

> Sorry, but you should rerun configure for every machine.

Yes: I could also have the sources on both machines. My point was to avoid
compilink/linking two times ....

Cheers,
Giuseppe.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 18:34:14 +0200

> not simply for ConfigFvwmDefaults ... that's the point ...

There are two concepts - the global site directory and the user directory.
The second can even be changed by user from run to run by redefining an
environment variable $FVWM_USERDIR while FVWM still should work correctly.

> compilink/linking two times ....

If you want to avoid building 2 times, use the same paths on both machines.

There are many places in FVWM where paths are built-in (run for example,
fvwm-config --info). This enables anyone to specify complitely unrelated
--mandir, --bindir, --libexecdir, --datadir and FVWM will still be able to
find all its parts. This is a feature of any autoconf'ed package.

Regards,
Mikhael.