Subject: FvwmForm config

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Oct 2000 17:39:38 -0400

I'm slightly confused by something; I don't know if this is a bug, or
just a "shrug, it's weird but that's the way it works" thing.

If I define an FvwmForm module configuration in my .fvwm2rc file, then I
can just define it no problem.

If I define it in a separate file (e.g., "Module FvwmForm FooForm" then
create ~/.fvwm/FooForm" I have to do a DestroyModuleConfig at the
beginning of the file, else I get one extra copy of my form every time I
invoke it.

This seems like a confusing inconsistency, but I don't really understand
how the module config works.  Why can't the existing config be used
again, as it is in the .fvwm2rc case (or is it)?  Or, why isn't the
DestroyModuleConfig implicit?

Basically, I think it's confusing that you need that DestroyModuleConfig
in one place but not the other.

Thoughts?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2000 20:14:14 -0400

> in one place but not the other.

Paul,

  First thanks for removing /bin/echo from the forms, your change is
a nice improvement.

  As far as the DestroyModuleConfig:

  All "*" commands  are stored up by fvwm   and passed out  to modules
when the  module requests them.   If you read  .fvwm2rc twice, all the
module commands will double up.  I've taken to starting all my Module,
Function, and Menu definitions with a destroy.

  FvwmForm first  sends a read command for  its alias to fvwm  to make
fvwm read the config in the first  place, Ie. "read FooForm".  As fvwm
encounters  the "*FooForm" commands it gives   them out to the modules
that  have set  the M_SENDCONFIG flag,  and  also stores  them up.  If
there was  no destroy, the second time  the module started, they would
be read again, and 2 sets would be sent.

  If FvwmForm first read the config from fvwm, saw the form definition
and  didn't  send the  read on  subsequent   iterations, then the form
couldn't change definition until restart.

  FvwmForm could read the form defintion directly like FvwmScript does
but I think there is some  advantage to having  the commands pass thru
fvwm.  For example,  there could be other  things in the file  besides
FvwmForm commands.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]