Subject: fvwm and gcc-2.96

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 17:57:54 +0200

After fixing a binding core dump (which was a real bug) now core dumps
on my second machine do not occur after the first theme refresh.
But they regularly occur on the second (or third/fifth) reloading.
Most of these core stacks seem to be reasonable.

I read current news about a bad RedHat decision to include gcc-2.96 with
RH-7.0 and how buggy is gcc-2.96 (build 54) included with it.
So I compiled fvwm without -O optimizations and there are no core dumps
any more. Only some core dump of FvwmScript.

On the other hand, fvwm compiled with -O2 using gcc-2.96 (build 33) on my
first machine behaves well - no regular core dumps.

I will investigate this problem more. I think I should try the latest
gcc bug fixes on the second machine.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:41:31 +0200

On 11 Oct 2000 17:57:54 +0200, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> any more.

Probably gcc-2.96 is not as bad as it is said, the problem appears to be
in glibc. After upgrading from glibc-2.1.92 to glibc-2.1.94 using the
RedHat Linux 7.0 errata, compiling even with -O3 gives no core dumps.

So, it seems that fvwm with fvwm-themes is problematic on both pure RH-6.2
and pure RH-7.0, since inconsistent core dumps started on my second
machine with RH-6.2 and continued after step-by-step upgrading to RH-7.0
a week ago. I.e. installing new gcc 2.96, recompiling fvwm, getting cores,
installing new glibc 2.1.92, recompiling, XFree86 4.0.1, recompiling.

At least it is solved now. I will think about documenting this somewhere.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:02:30 +0200

> RH-7.0 and how buggy is gcc-2.96 (build 54) included with it.

I read some where that RH 7 use a "recent" cvs snapshot and that gcc is
named gcc-3.0 (not yet realized)! Any way, RH7 is at the present time
only
a beta.
 
> any more. Only some core dump of FvwmScript.

Can you reproduce such a core dump and send it to the list?
 
Olivier

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 23:47:16 +0200

> At least it is solved now. I will think about documenting this somewhere.

I think that there is egcs (1.?) with the RH 7 for compiling the kernel.
Do you test it?
Olivier

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 02:34:13 +0200

On 11 Oct 2000 21:02:30 +0200, Olivier Chapuis wrote:
> only a beta.

No, it was named gcc-2.96 in CVS. The authors do not suggest to use it in
distributions, but I can't say for now it has any problems with C, there
may be compatibility problems with C++ object files though.

> I think that there is egcs (1.?) with the RH 7 for compiling the kernel.

It is called kgcc. As I said, the inconsistent core problems are solved
after upgrading from glibc-2.1.92 to glibc-2.1.94. There were real serious
bugs in 2.1.92. I didn't compiled with kgcc, but we should suggest to RH-7
users to upgrade glibc anyway, it fixes some other packages too.

> Can you reproduce such a core dump and send it to the list?

I can't reproduce this again after upgrading glibc.

Regards,
Mikhael.