Subject: parameter expansin - please test this

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 06:15:28 +0200

I had to remove a fix I made to parameter expansion in May.  The
corresponding ChangeLog entry is probably this one:

2000-05-31  Dominik Vogt  <[email-masked]>
...
    * fvwm/functions.c (ComplexFunction):
    (execute_complex_function):
    (ExecuteFunction):
    fixed parameter expansion with nested complex functions and quoting
    ...

I can't remember what the problem exactly was.  Can somebody
please test this?

The code I removed caused a core dump when the line

  silent"

was executed.  Furthermore it was impossible to use complex
functions with a name that is the name of a builtin function
followed by whitespace.  E.g. you could not call a function
"echo hello" because ExecuteFunction called the "echo" builtin
instead.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:52:02 +0200

> "echo hello" because ExecuteFunction called the "echo" builtin

If you are speaking about #if 0'ed code, which replaced a space with nil
in a function name, I can't see how this code can be a fix for something,
so I think it could be removed.

While testing some parameter expansion, I see that $* includes a trailing
newline. So it can't be used in the middle of line. It should not do this.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:19:49 +0200

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 04:52:02AM +0200, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> in a function name,

Yes.

> I can't see how this code can be a fix for something,

Well I wrote it for a reason, this much is for sure.  It had
something to do with calling complex functions from complex
functions by passing the name of the called function as a
parameter, I think.  I can't remember what quoting had to
do with it.  I am sure there is something in the mail archive.

> newline. So it can't be used in the middle of line. It should not do this.

Yes. I will fix it.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^