Subject: hot to build rmp and bzip2?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 16:53:49 +0200

Now, how can I build rpm and bzip2 packages, Mikhael?

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 21:33:41 +0200

> Now, how can I build rpm and bzip2 packages, Mikhael?

% make dist2  # or distcheck2

builds both tar.gz & tar.bz2. You can update make_fvwmdist.sh if you wish.

% make release=1 rpm-this

builds rpm from the previously created source tarball if you have all rpm
building software (rpm-build). This should work ok for a home usage.

But creating rpm's which will actually work for many users and different
distributions are not trivial. I hope it is possible to create one rpm
(or two: one src and one i386 binary) good for all RedHat/Mandrake/SuSE
and like, otherwise it is not worth it.

Whoever creates the rpm package should have a stock distribution made
totally (mostly) from rpm's. RedHat 6.2 is most prefered as a standard,
but SuSE can probably also do the work, I can't say yet. This person
should have a root to at least test installing/uninstalling of the rpm he
made. He should decide which feature to compile-in. For example if the rpm
is compiled with GNOME libs, all users should install GNOME libs first
before installing the fvwm rpm.

I think the rpm should include support for: GNOME hints (no problems
here), stroke (there is one rpm for stroke 0.4), GTK & Imlib (for FvwmGtk
menus and dialogs, there are enough GTK rpm's, just hoping they are
compatible), rplay (there are rpms around), but without GNOME libs.

So, for now I would suggest you not to create rpm yourself unless you
really want to deal with all these issues, but have someone, who will be
responsible for creating rpm from the source tarballs you release. I can
start with it, but if someone has a knowledge in creating rpms and a
desire to do it and fix user problems, he can freely take it.

Regards,
Mikhael.