Subject: Fvwm 2.3.22 crashes when launched from GNOME session

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 21:24:51 +0300 (EEST)

Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
uname output: Linux cumulonimbus 2.2.17 #1 Tue Sep 5 11:44:23 EEST 2000 i686 unknown
Compiler: gcc
Compilation CFLAGS: -g -O2
prefix: /usr/local

FVWM Version:	2.3.22
FVWM_MODULEDIR:	/usr/local/libexec/fvwm
FVWM_DATADIR:	/usr/local/share/fvwm
FVWM_USERDIR:	unset

Description:
	I updated Fvwm to the latest version on CVS (2.3.22) and now 
	when I log in using GDM, Fvwm first starts quite ok, but then 
	(about when panels appear, the delay between Fvwm startup and 
	appearance of other applications launched by GNOME session is 
	oddly quite long) Fvwm crashes. There's some flicker suggesting 
	that Fvwm might try to manage some window, but fails. Log files
	reveal following errors (the icon warnings are caused by Debian 
	menu-package generated menus):

SESSION_MANAGER=local/cumulonimbus:/tmp/.ICE-unix/13483
[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't find pixmap /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/vim.xpm
[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't find pixmap /usr/share/videolan/gvlc.png
[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't find pixmap /usr/share/videolan/vlc.png
[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't find pixmap /usr/share/pixmaps/gqview.png
[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't find pixmap xdigger.xpm
subshell.c: couldn't get terminal settings: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 12, Error 2, EventType: 33
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 12, Error 2, EventType: 33
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 12, Error 2, EventType: 33
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***

 (the above error appears in log 324 times, I shortened that into three
 repeats for obvious reasons)

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler
containing data (0x8125BB0)

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler
containing data (0x812AB70)
[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't find pixmap /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmaps/vim.xpm
[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't find pixmap /usr/share/videolan/gvlc.png
[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't find pixmap /usr/share/videolan/vlc.png
[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't find pixmap /usr/share/pixmaps/gqview.png
[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't find pixmap xdigger.xpm

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler
containing data (0x81A7E78)

Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_signal_disconnect_by_data(): could not find handler
containing data (0x8125BB0)
[FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***

	Manually restarted fvwm seems to work fine. Also previous Fvwm
	versions worked quite ok (although the odd, slow GNOME session
	startup has been there earlier too).

Repeat-By:
	I'm running the latest Helix GNOME packages for Debian and programs
	started automatically are: unclutter, swisswatch, gmc and two GNOME 
	panels. First, screenwide bottom panel contains in addition to 
	some program launcher icons, menu and logout buttons following 
	applets: 
		- Sound Monitor
		- Mixer
		- Mini-commander
		- Fish 
		- Odometer
		- CPU and memory monitors
		- Clock
	The other panel is auto-hide enabled floating panel (and I think
	therefor more suspious for causing these problems I'm experiencing).
	It contains some launchers, network monitor and weather applet.
	
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2000 20:03:20 +0200

> 	It contains some launchers, network monitor and weather applet.

1) Does the crash leave a core file?  If yes, can you please fetch
us a stack trace?

  $ gdb fvwm2 core
  (gdb) where

2) Does it crash if you put this line in your config file?

  Style * GNOMEIgnoreHints

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 18:48:30 +0200

> 2) Does it crash if you put this line in your config file?

About the crash. I've got also such a crash when I start certain app
(kfm). This is caused by the recent change:

gnome.c line 871 (GNOME_ProcessClientMessage):
 if (DO_IGNORE_GNOME_HINTS(fwin))

if I replace this line by 

if (fwin == NULL || DO_IGNORE_GNOME_HINTS(fwin))

No more crash. I've commited this.

About the timeout. The timeout is not present with 2.3.10
and it is here with 2.3.13. Not yet try 2.3.11 and 12.

Olivier

---

From: Heikki Kantola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 20:07:04 +0300

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 09:24:51PM +0300, [email-masked] wrote:
[Original bug report omitted]

Addendum: I've now managed to get similar crashes also when starting 
KDE programs and Alpha Centauri demo, so probably GNOME hints are not
causing the trouble...

> 1) Does the crash leave a core file?  If yes, can you please fetch

No cores, sorry.

> 2) Does it crash if you put this line in your config file?

Still crashes, although the lines containing error message
 [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> Request 12, Error 2, EventType: 33
 [FVWM][FvwmErrorHandler]: <<ERROR>> *** internal error ***
have disappeared from log file.

-- 
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola, <[email-masked]>
Lähettämällä mainoksia tai muuta asiatonta sähköpostia yllä olevaan
osoitteeseen sitoudut maksamaan oikolukupalvelusta FIM500 alkavalta
tunnilta.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 02:11:17 +0200

> and it is here with 2.3.13. Not yet try 2.3.11 and 12.

While doing 'cvs diff -r version-2_3_10 -r version-2_3_13 session.c' (a
very long listing), I have memorized one surprising change (not mine) -
a new empty function, but I had no time then to investigate this.

Ok, I have fixed this bug and thus timeout. Your info helped a lot.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 22:51:03 +0200

> have disappeared from log file.

I think that now the crash and the delays are fixed.
Can you try?
On the other hands, I need to use

Style "panel" UsePPosition

so that the panel find its good position at startup.
(I think that this also "fix" the FvwmErrorHandler errors
but I am not sure).
Unfortunately, I've got problems with gnome icons: If gnome
is configurated to not start to a page on the left of the
desk (via "saving session"), then the gnome icons are
not on the good page ...

Olivier