Subject: Re: fvwm2.3.17-20 bugs

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 10:02:26 -0700

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 11:14:50PM -0700, Elliot Sowadsky wrote:
> Try running just xview programs and a .fvwm2rc that just has the
> clicktofocus. Youll need an xterm to start them, but then kill the xterm.
 
Ah! I had to add Xview to my system, but once I did I started to see
problems with focus. They were partially mitigated by the addition of
the recommended:

Style * OLDecor, Lenience

but not entirely. There are still problems with XView apps. You've
noticed the section in the manpage about OpenLook/XView stuff?
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"Closed Mondays." The Walker Art Center
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:23:36 +0200

> noticed the section in the manpage about OpenLook/XView stuff?

Well, what *are* the problems with focus? For me they all went
away by using 'Lenience'.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 12:29:14 -0700

> away by using 'Lenience'.

Ah, right. Circulation and focus transfer seem to work okay, except
that the Xview window itself doesn't appear to actually get focussed.
By FVWM's reckoning (decoration state, IconMan button states, etc.)
the Xview window (cmdtool in this case) has focus, but it won't
necessarily take keyboard input unless the pointer is positioned
inside the Xview window. This works reasonably for the MouseFocus case
but will be broken with SloppyFocus and ClickToFocus. I would guess
this is the root cause for todo item #148. At least in the MouseFocus
case, things seem to work properly. However, cmdtool apparently wants
to show the window's focus state by modifying the cursor. This visual
hint does not seem to work reliably, as keyboard input may be accepted
by cmdtool while the cursor's state would indicate that input is not
accepted.

My guess is that Xview isn't really designed to work with focus models
except plain old MouseFocus, and that Xview has the unfortunate
tendency to have windows manage focus themselves, rather than allowing
the wm do the job it's supposed to do. All in all, I suspect that
these are inherent failings in the toolkit itself, rather than any
kind of failure on FVWM's part to correctly honor OpenLook/Xview
hinting, etc.
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
There is too much blood in my caffeine system
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 12:43:24 +0200

> kind of failure on FVWM's part to correctly honor OpenLook/Xview

Of course. Xview applications set (incorrect) hints that indicate
that they want to manage focus themselves. Fvwm can't do much to
force them to accept keyboard focus if they don't want to. I guess
these apps ignore the focus if the cursor is not inside them.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]