Subject: Width of 'pixmap only' menus

From: "Petit, Jeremie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:26:57 +0200

Hello,

  I have some menus that used to be displayed correctly in fvwm 2.2 that now
have a very narrow witdh. For example:

AddToMenu RootMenu
+ "*butterfly.32.xpm*" Title
+ "*lock.32.xpm*"      Exec  xscreensaver-command -lock
+ "*butterfly.32.xpm*" Exec  xscreensaver-command -activate
+ "*utilities.32.xpm*" Popup Utilities
+ "*tools.32.xpm*"     Popup Tools
+ ""                   Nop
+ "*dead.32.xpm*"      Popup Quit-Verify

This creates a menu that does not even contain the whole icons. If I add one
menu item that is mainly a string, then the menu width respects (that's
correct) the width of the string. Furthermore, the submenu triangle can't be
seen, it is hidden under the pixmaps.
If the menu title is a string wider than the menu pixmap only elements, then
the pixmaps are rendered correctly. If it is smaller, then the menu has the
strings width, whatever the pixmaps width is.

Is that actually a problem in fvwm2 ? Note that my icons are 32x32 icons.

Another information/question: when I use SidePic, the side pixmap is not
tiled. I tried to use a 'TiledPixmap' option before the pixmap name, but it
failed. Is it supposed to be tiled vertically or not ? Wouldn't it be
interesting that it would be ? I have some big menus (Modules list for
example) that are bigger than the xpm, and furthermore, it would allow using
smaller xpm for sidepic.

Last one: in the manual page, I can read "You can use the same options for
MenuFace as for the ButtonStyle". I've tried to play with that (with
activeup/activedown/...) in order to have the selected menu item hilighted
with a different pixmap than the menu background but I didn't succeed. Is
there a way for doing that or was I dreaming ?

Thanks!

Jeremie Petit.

PS: I use fvwm2 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 03:45:43 +0300

> Is that actually a problem in fvwm2 ? Note that my icons are 32x32 icons.

Your description is right. Whether it is a bug or a feature depends on how
you see it (what to respect, label, icon, or both). Probably a bug, but
for your menu it is easy to solve if you use '%', not '*'.

> example) that are bigger than the xpm, and furthermore, it would allow using

No, it is not supposed to be tiled. For now at least. If the menu height
is smaller, the side pixmap is stripped, if it is larger, the void space
is filled with the color, specified using: "[email-masked]@^blue^".

> there a way for doing that or was I dreaming ?

The man page should be read: "as for the ButtonStyle _style_ definitions".
ButtonStyle's _state_ (and _flags_ as well) can't be applied to menus.

As of now, it is only possible to specify a background of the whole menu.
For the selected (active) item you can only specify solid color (and 3d
shading colors using ActiveColorset).

Regards,
Mikhael.