Subject: Re: Key: WINCH signal handler (PR#542)

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 05:34:06 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Neil,

can you provide some instructions how I can reproduce this
problem myself, please?  I'll debug this if I know what to
do.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 16:32:44 -0230 (NDT)

Hi!

This is going to be a little bit compicated but here is an accurate 
description of how to reproduce the problem. (Sorry but I could not
think of another way to simulate the SIGWINCH propagation bug).

Step 1: Grab a copy of my configuration file at:
<http://www.math.mun.ca/~nzanella/computing/fvwm2/system.fvwm2rc>

Step 2: Ensure you have expect installed on your system as:
/usr/bin/expect
If not then change the path under the AutoTelnet function to
/usr/local/bin/expect or wherever you have expect installed.
You can get expect from <http://expect.nist.gov/>.

Step 3:
Suppose you have ssh access to a machine called host.a.b.net
and that your username and password for myhost are
myusername and mypassword. Edit a file called
~/.private/.auth/.a.b.net containing the lines:
myusername mypassword

Step 4:
Change the line:

Key G A M AutoTelnet "Garfield" "134.153.1.1" ".cs.mun.ca"

to

Key G A M AutoTelnet "myhost" "myip" ".a.b.net"

Step 5:

Restart

Step 6:

Press Alt-G and launch pine or something on the remote terminal
and resize to see the SIGWINCH bug:SIGWINCH is not propagated
upon resize.

Note 1: If you use menu bindings then instead of Key bindings
then the SIGWINCH is propagated properly.

Note 2: If you use ssh instead of telnet then do the above with
AutoSsh instead of AutoTelnet.

This should reproduce the bug,

Sorry about the length of this description but SIGWINCH stuff
can often turn out to be this long.

Thanks a lot,

Neil

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 16:25:45 -0700

This is going back a bit, but I just stumbled across something
interesting...

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 04:32:44PM -0230, Neil Zanella wrote:
>[big snip]

Could you take a look at:

http://dickey.his.com/xterm/xterm.faq.html#setup_resize

and see if anything in there is helpful? At the very least, before
entering any full-screen apps, etc., could you play with 'stty -a' and
compare the results you get for starting your term in various ways,
before and after resizing?
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
A closed mouth gathers no foot
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:36:20 -0230 (NDT)

On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Michael Han wrote:

> before entering any full-screen apps, etc., could you play with
> 'stty -a' and

When I start up my xterm + expect script with a _keyboard_ binding
things behave abnormally:

(after the connection)
stty -a | head -n 1
speed 9600 baud; rows 24; columns 76; (rows and columns are correct)

(then I resize)
stty -a | head -n 1
speed 9600 baud; rows 0; columns 0;
(wrong! the same happens if I maximize)

On the other hand...
when I start up my xterm + expect script from a _menu_ binding
the outpus of stty -a | head -n 1 is always correct even after
I resize or maximize the xterm.

stty -a | head -n 1
speed 9600 baud; rows 24; columns 76; (correct)
(resize)
stty -a | head -n 1
speed 9600 baud; rows 17; columns 75; (correct)
(maximize)
stty -a | head -n 1
speed 9600 baud; rows 28; columns 76; (correct)

And if I start up my  xterm + expect script from an _FvwmButtons Button_
then the behavior is also correct (same as above).

Best Regards,

Neil Zanella
[email-masked]