Subject: fvwm2.3.17-20 bugs

From: Elliot Sowadsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 15:13:38 -0700 (PDT)

These worked on 2.3.16 but broke after that.

ClickToFocus mode
Must click twice into a window for it to get focus.
Styles ClickToFocusDoesntPassClick/ClickToFocusPassesClick have same
behavior.

(xview) mailtool up/down arrows no longer work in header window.
It'll do something on the 1st arrow key hit....then ignored.

-----------

mouse over root takes away focus for ClickToFocus

This bug has always been broken, but a patch exists and is only half
implemented.

the missing patch to events.c ...

change the appropriate line to add the NumberOfScreens check.

if (ewp->window == Scr.Root && Scr.NumberOfScreens > 1)
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:12:02 -0700

I use a similar config (WRT focus policy) and am up-to-date from CVS.
I haven't ever experienced the problems you report. Could you forward
your config for further examination? Can you reproduce the problem
with a very minimal config? I'm wondering whether you maybe use
FvwmAuto or FvwmEvent or something too.
-- 
[email-masked]                            http://www.mikehan.com/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"'Why is that toy on your head?' 'Because if I wear it anywhere else,
it chafes.'" - Chris Knight
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Moritz Barsnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:31:25 +0200

[Sorry, I'm not on the mailing list. I'm trying to Cc this to it
anyway.
I read this on the web archive, and the corresponding mails aren't in
the "raw archive", so I don't even have a Msg-ID to reference to, as
the web archive doesn't show them.]

Hi there,

Michael Han wrote:

> [...]

Please note that these problems are reported for _xview_.

I'm using fvwm-2.3.19 with a .fvwm2rc which I hardly adapted from
2.2.4. I'm running on Solaris 2.6 == SunOS5.6 on SPARC/UltraSPARC. I
too am havin problems with xview programs.

My config (in terms of FvwmAuto/FvwmEvent):

$ egrep -i -C1 "fvwm(auto|event)" ~/.fvwm2rc
AddToFunc InitFunction    "I" Module FvwmButtons
+                         "I" Module FvwmAuto 750
+                         "I" Module FvwmPager 0 0
--
AddToFunc RestartFunction "I" Module FvwmButtons
+                         "I" Module FvwmAuto 750
+                         "I" Module FvwmPager 0 0
--
+                       "Background"    Module  FvwmBacker
+                       "AutoRaise"     Module  FvwmAuto 200 Raise Nop
+                       "Stop AutoRaise" KillModule FvwmAuto
+                       ""              Nop

So, at least until fvwm-2.2.4, my window focus followed the mouse, and
windows were raised automagically after 750ms. Apart from some very
peculiar behavior in general (windows which I throw to the bottom using
RaiseLower sometimes come to the top again immediately), xview windows
are a PITA. It isn't even recognized that the mouse is over them until
I clock on them. (The window from below raises itself to the top!) The
window which had the previous focus stays focussed when moving the
mouse to an adjacent xview window, as if the mouse were over the root
window. (The windows under the xview window _don't_ raise themselves
then.)

I'd be glad to send my full config, and try a minimal one if you
compose it for me.

Greetings,
Moritz, almost back to 2.2.4   ;->

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 13:42:02 +0200

> +                         "I" Module FvwmPager 0 0

Put this line in your config file and all your problems will
hopefully go away:

  Style * Lenience

This strange behaviour is not fvwm's fault.  All XView windows
are *specifically requesting* this funny behaviour according
to the ICCCM2 which describes client/windowmanager interaction.
In other words: all XView applications violate the spec. They
tell the window manager 'please do not give me focus, I will
take it myself', but then still expect the window manager to
give them focus.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]