Subject: More flexible "grow"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 13:29:17 -0500 (CDT)

Full_Name: Lee Skinol
Version: 2.3.20
CVS_Date: Mid June
OS: Linux
X_Server: XFree 3.3.6
Submission from: (NULL) (207.176.80.102)

I'm attempting to integrate FVWM2 into the latest Gnome, and have found
a problem that I can't seem to overcome.  It looks like it'll require
a enhancement to FVWM2... if I'm wrong, please yell.

With Gnome, the stock configuration runs two panels at the top and
bottom, as well as gmc (to provide the "icons" on the left that you
can click on).  The "icons" are actually windows, with a Class of
gmc-desktop-icon.  They're not iconified, but are sticky.

To have the maximize function work correctly with Gnome, I use 
"Maximize grow grow" to have windows expand so that they don't
grow underneath the panels.  This works fine... almost.  The 
problem is that when the grow algorithm runs into the gmc "icons,"
it notices that they're actually sticky windows and stops growing.

What I _think_ it would take to make this work is yet another style
option.  How about this:

Style "gmc-desktop-icon" NoObstruction

This would set a flag that the grow code could use, such that grow
would grow over any window with this style flag.  And while "we"re
at it, we could have an "Obstruction" style, which would force a
window to be an obstruction to growing, even if it normally wasn't.
It seems to me that with the addition of these two style flags, 
the normal grow code could be simplified a bit, removing the normal
grow obstacle checks.

Thanks,
Lee

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]