Subject: Synchronization problem of FvwmTheme

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 18:54:12 +0300

Consider the following:

  AddToFunc Test1
  + I *FvwmThemeColorset 19 fg rgb:78/9a/bc
  + I Echo $[fg.cs19]

  # ModuleSynchronous FvwmTheme  # if not started already
  *FvwmThemeColorset 19 fg rgb:12/34/56
  Test1

Instead of the expected rgb:78/9a/bc, it prints rgb:12/34/56.
SendToModule works similarly (i.e. the same problem).
The only way currently to make Test1 work is to kill FvwmTheme and start
it again synchronously in Test1 between two lines. I consider this a bug.

Although this particular problem can be fixed, still because of all
synchronization problems related to FvwmTheme, I am starting to prefer to
move FvwmTheme functionality into the core fvwm (suggested by Dan).

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 17:23:37 +0100

> move FvwmTheme functionality into the core fvwm (suggested by Dan).

I really don't think we should do this before 2.4. The fix for your
problem is to make FvwmTheme use synchronous messaging for config lines
and SendToModule, this should be low risk as FvwmTheme never grabs
anything. Should I do this?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 00:24:40 +0300

> I really don't think we should do this before 2.4. The fix for your

I can only trust your decision (as the module author).

> anything. Should I do this?

Yes, I think, every talk fvwm<->FvwmThemes should be locked.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 10:28:19 +0100

> I can only trust your decision (as the module author).
I'm not against moving it into the core after 2.4, it might be better
especially if we make colorsets the only way of specifying colors. It's
just that I think there's less risk to 2.4 being a great version if we
keep it as it is.

Cheers,
Tim.