Subject: Re: Resizing maximized windows (was: Notification: incoming/623)

From: Peter Daum <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 13:22:07 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Dominik Vogt wrote:

[fvwm ignores resize requests from maximized windows]

> 
> I think it *might* be necessary that we 'fix' that before
> 2.4 to keep backwards compatibility.  A style option could
> control this:
> 
>   Style * ResizeMaximized Program
> 
> or
> 
>   Style * ResizeMaximized off
> 
> In the first case a program is allowed to resize its maximized
> windows, in the second it isn't.  The code for this is fairly
> simple.  Apart from all the stuff that has to bew done for new
> styles, a few lines in HandleConfigureNotify() have to be
> changed plus a similar patch for size_inc changes.
> 
> Should we do this or not?  I have not made up my mind yet.

Hi,

at least this would make *me* happy :-)
IMHO, the "old" behavior even should be the default, so people
don't get confused about this new "bug".

As you proposed, I reported to the Gimp people, that they should
verify, whether a resize request was actually successfull. The
"Style" option that you propose still would be a good thing. With
the current fvwm behavior, it is not possible anymore, to resize
a maximized window with a single keystroke - it always requires 2
separate actions, one to tell fvwm to "unmaxize" the window,
another one to tell the client to resize the window.

(I am not sure, where else this might be a problem - at least for
image manipulation with a screen that can't possibly be big
enough, it is pretty handy to be able to quickly toggle between a
small overview and a maximized window for detail work)

Regards,
                Peter

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]