Subject: FvwmCommandS on Linux

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:53:14 -0500

Well I'm going to play the newbie today.

I just swaped my solaris box for a machine running Redhat 6.2.  All of
fvwm works great except for FvwmCommand.  It seems to go into a busy way
on the select.  And drives the load way up.  So has no one ever tried
FvwmCommand under Linux or is something really stupid happening with
configure?

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 16:10:52 +0100

> FvwmCommand under Linux or is something really stupid happening with

What version are you using? Is it FvwmCommand or FvwmCommandS that is
looping?
Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:18:09 -0400

> What version are you using? Is it FvwmCommand or FvwmCommandS that is

Sorry my bad.  I'll let ps speek for itself:
USER       PID %CPU %MEM   SZ  RSS TT       S    START  TIME COMMAND
bgiaccio  3697 99.9  0.1  1092  352 ?        R    08:10   0:06 /home/bgiaccio/fvwm23/Linux/libexec/fvwm/2.3.20/FvwmCommandS 24 7 none 0 8

This is using current CVS including the last fix to FvwmCommand, yesterday.

gdb gives:
#0  0x400c917e in __select () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0xbfffe940 in ?? ()
#2  0x8048f9b in server (name=0x0) at FvwmCommandS.c:225
#3  0x8048d30 in main (argc=6, argv=0xbffff314) at FvwmCommandS.c:133

Tim if something from configure would help let me know.

Brad

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 14:00:26 +0100

> Tim if something from configure would help let me know.

I'm using fvwmSelect() so it shouldn't need configure. It's practically
identical to the usage of select in fvwm so I'm pretty sure it's not
there. I've just committed a change to FvwmCommandS.c to stop it trying
to send messages to a full pipe every ten seconds, it may have been that
but I don't know why it takes so much cpu.  There is a message that gets
printed out every time it fails to completetly empty the queue, culd you
try this out and see if you get the message.

Cheers,
Tim.