Subject: Re: FVWM: Help with "make"

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 15:23:51 -0700

Previously from Ali Faour
>   after installing xpm. I did ./configure and it was successfull. xpm
>was
>recognized. But when I did "make: I kept recieving the following:
>
>
>make: Warning: Too many rules defined for target Makefile
>Current working directory /opt/fvwm-2.2.4/libs
>Making all in fvwm
>make: Warning: Too many rules defined for target Makefile
>Current working directory /opt/fvwm-2.2.4/fvwm
>make: Fatal error: screen.h is writable so it cannot be sccs gotten
>Current working directory /opt/fvwm-2.2.4/fvwm
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
>Current working directory /opt/fvwm-2.2.4
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive-am'
>~~

Rooting around in sunsolve, I found this ancient bugreport:

Make gives error "Too many rules defined for target xxx" when the target
name is the same as a make include file name which is under SCCS control.

Which is dated 5 Jun 1994, #1037634. Yes, you probably need a sunsolve
login to view the report.

It looks like it fits the description, so I'm guessing you have an
file named screen.h under SCCS control. Uh, Sun doesn't appear to
propose any kind of fix for this error. My earlier suggestion of gmake
is probably going to get hit by an error, too. I don't really know
what to do about this.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"And, just like it should in all stories about philosophers, it ended
up in complete chaos." - Richard P. Feynman
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul D. Smith)
Date: 06 May 2000 20:10:41 -0400

%% Michael Han <[email-masked]> writes:

  mh> Make gives error "Too many rules defined for target xxx" when the target
  mh> name is the same as a make include file name which is under SCCS control.

  mh> Which is dated 5 Jun 1994, #1037634. Yes, you probably need a sunsolve
  mh> login to view the report.

  mh> It looks like it fits the description, so I'm guessing you have an
  mh> file named screen.h under SCCS control. Uh, Sun doesn't appear to
  mh> propose any kind of fix for this error. My earlier suggestion of gmake
  mh> is probably going to get hit by an error, too.

Why would gmake report this error?  It doesn't have this bug (it
probably has _other_ bugs, but not _this_ bug :).

Anyway, I've forgotten what little I once knew about SCCS, but you must
have some environment variable set or something to the SCCS root if it's
finding files under SCCS.  You should be able to keep it from finding
any files under SCCS easily, if this is indeed the problem.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 17:46:57 -0700

Previously from Paul D. Smith
>any files under SCCS easily, if this is indeed the problem.

Well, I'm not really certain that it's to be classified a bug, unless
it's a bug in the default rules used by make. My assumption is that
the default make rules that support automagic SCCS (ISTR RCS support
is also automagic with some make(1)s) will always be confused by the
presence of a file named in this way, and that it is, as a result, not
a bug but a feature... ;>

But I suppose that somehow hiding the presence of the SCCS stuff is
the way to go. I just don't know a thing about SCCS, so wouldn't know
how to do that. Hopefully Ali knows, since he is the one (apparently)
using SCCS.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"I am not a number; I am a free man!" - Number Six
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2000 18:55:45 -0400

> is probably going to get hit by an error, too. I don't really know

I've never heard of anything like this, but if Sun's make is looking
at some SCCS data,  unsetting $SCCS would help.

In ksh:

unset SCCS

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]