Subject: Problem with window groups (X3270)

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 07:31:23 -0400

I'm not sure when this started.  I see it with the current CVS.

I'm using mouse focus.

Start X3270.  Click on the keyboard symbol in the upper right corner.
This opens keyboard window.
Even though the mouse remains in the main window, the frame of the
keyboard window is highlighted.

If I then hit the keyboard shortcut for iconify, only the keyboard window
iconifies.  (Both windows should iconify.)  Focus goes to the icon
even though the mouse is in the main window.

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Wing Tung Leung <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 21:42:24 +0200

> keyboard window is highlighted.

Isn't this the normal behaviour? I can reproduce the same with the
Netscape Mail window and the "Save as" dialog box using SloppyFocus. The
dialog box pops up in the center after selecting it in the menu or
pressing the shortcut Alt+S and gets focus while my pointer stays on the
main window. The dialog box is a modal one.

Regards,

Tung

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 18:32:50 -0400

> main window. The dialog box is a modal one.

Hmm, good question.

With fvwm 2.2.4, the main x3270 window stays highlighted,
not the keyboard window.

I don't think the little keyboard window is  grabbing focus, since its
not meant to  be used thru the keyboard,  it has some buttons to click
on.  I'll take a look and see if I can understand what x3270 is doing.

The symptom I reported with exmh (not being able  to click on the body
of the icon) is present in 2.2.4 also.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 09:03:37 -0400

> on.  I'll take a look and see if I can understand what x3270 is doing.

x3270 creates the keyboard popup with:

  XtPopup(shell, XtGrabNone);

Since it has set XtGrabNone, I can't see how its correct for fvwm
to give focus to the popup window.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 22:40:48 +0200

> of the icon) is present in 2.2.4 also.

In some 2.3.x release, the style option

  Style * GrabFocusTransient

was made the default.  Since then, all new transients will
automagically get the focus.  The 'keyboard' window does
take keyboard focus as any other window and is a transient
of the main window.  To fix it, either use

  Style * GrabFocusTransientOff

or make the x3270 transient window 'NeverFocus':

  Style <proper_style_name> NeverFocus

[Sorry for the duplicate reply that will arrive in a day or two :-)
The mail system at my workplace is freaking out again.]

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 15:36:39 +0200

> > on.  I'll take a look and see if I can understand what x3270 is doing.

The answer is very easy: some time in the past (in the 2.3.x betas)
we made "GrabFocusTransient" the default behaviour.  From
ConfigFvwmDefaults:

  # Default styles

The keyboard window *is* a transient, and since it accepts the focus
like any other window fvwm happy focuses it when it's created.  The
solution is to disable this style explicitly in the config file:

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]