Subject: resizing maximized windows

From: Peter Daum <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 13:54:21 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

it seems to me, like some change in fvwm during the last months
caused, that clients can no longer resize their windows when
these are maximized.

Actually, the only client where I encounter this problem is gimp.
Gimp has a function named "shrink-wrap" that tries to resize the
window to the current image size. With recent versions of fvwm,
this doesn't work anymore, when the window is maximized. Gimp
obviously thinks, that the resize succeeded and redraws the image
in the upper left corner with the scrollbars around it, but the
window just stays maximized and doesn't change its size.

I am not sure, which fvwm-version introduced this behavior
change, I only can tell that it was between fvwm 2.2.2 and
2.3.11. Is it a bug or just a new feature, that I don't
understand? Is there any way, to get the old behavior back?

Regards,
                Peter
-- 
                                             __o  
     Peter Daum <gator at cs.tu-berlin.de> _'\<_ 
       - pgp messages welcome -       ____(_)/(_)

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 10:36:11 +0200

> understand? Is there any way, to get the old behavior back?

It's a feature.  Clients are not allowed to resize maximized
windows by design.  The theory behind this is that if the
user maximizes a window he does not want the application to
override his/her choice.  BTW, this should have been the same
with 2.2.x and earlier versions.  The code to prevent resizing
was there, but obviously it didn't work properly.

I already coded a workaround for a similar problem with xterm.
You should not see the screwed up gimp window with the latest
beta release (2.3.18).  Can you please send a bug report to
the gimp folks?  According to the ICCCM2, applications must not
assume that the window manager gives them the geometry they want,
but this is what gimp is doing.

Of course we might also code a new style option that allows
the user to choose between both alternatives (resizing or
not resizing)

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]