Subject: changing layers of existing windows?

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 17:27:57 -0700

Am I unable to change a window's layer after it's been created/mapped?
Or perhaps I should rephrase that. I create an xterm in a bare X
session (no xinit ran). I use it to start fvwm2 from an empty rcfile.
I launch FvwmConsole and enter the commands:

Key F1 A N Module FvwmIdent
Style XTerm Layer 5

FvwmIdent displays the layer of both windows (both of which have the
Class XTerm) set to 4 (default). I start another xterm. Its layer is
5. It acts like a layer 5 window, while the two pre-existing windows
behave as if they were not layer 5 (old windows cannot be raised above
the new).

So I ask, can a window's layer be changed after it's been created? Is
this a bug?
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
You pay for what you get, but you won't necessarily get what you pay for.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 04:39:07 +0200

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 05:27:57PM -0700, Michael Han wrote:
> So I ask, can a window's layer be changed after it's been created?

Yup, with the 'Layer' command.  I ran into the same problem a few
hours ago.  This command is probably a legacy to the times when
you needed to 'Recapture' to apply styles.

> Is this a bug?

Maybe we should remove the Layer command before 2.4.  It was
introduced with 2.3.0, so it hasn't ever been part of any
stable release.  If we put it in 2.4, we'll never get rid of
it again.  Applying layer style changes is a bit tricky, but
I can do it.  What do the others think?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 20:10:22 -0700

Previously from Dominik Vogt
>you needed to 'Recapture' to apply styles.

Ah... I forgot to look for a builtin, and assumed a Style would do it
all.

>I can do it.  What do the others think?

Well, it's like Style Sticky v. Stick... I think it's perfectly
alright to have both.

But I'm still a bit confused. Style Layer doesn't apply immediately.
It requires a Recapture. Is this intentional?
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"The lunatic, the lover and the poet
Are of imagination all compact:-" A Midsummer Night's Dream, V i
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 01:29:41 +0200

> Well, it's like Style Sticky v. Stick... I think it's perfectly

But making a window sticky is something you frequently use
on individual windows while changing the layer is probably
really a style reference.

> It requires a Recapture. Is this intentional?

Yes, I think so.  Every style is applied during a Recapture.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Bob Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 01:38:27 -0400

> really a style reference.

	Hmmm...I think I'd be more likely to want to apply it on the fly to an
individual window that I suddenly decided I wanted to raise above a
bunch of others that were in a higher layer. I think that's very much
analogous to the Stick command.

Cheers,
Bob

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 07:49:42 +0200

> analogous to the Stick command.

Perhaps.  I think the use model for the layers is to apply
them to a specific kind of window (e.g. a clock that stays in
the background or a panel that stays on top).  Well, I'm
planning to make styles applicable to individual windows
after 2.4.  We'll definitely not need a layer command then
anymore (neither a stick command).

Bye

Dominik ^_^