Subject: WinList placement

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 01:03:01 +0200

In the ChangeLog Dominik wrote:

	* FvwmWinList/FvwmWinList.c (MakeMeWindow):
	(AdjustWindow):
	simplified placement code when window height changes
	fixed placement of window list with negative y geometry and
	TitleAtBottom

I am not so sure that the OLD_BUGGY_WINDOW_PLACEMENT was so buggy.
It was buggy relatively TitleAtBottom and also this "old" code is
relatively complex but there are reasons for such complexity: the
*FvwmWinListShowCurrentDesk config option and the fact that WinList
can unmap itself if there are no windows which have to be represented
in it.
Examples: 
- use *FvwmWinListShowCurrentDesk (and say witha geometry of
+0-0) and switch between desks with and without windows which have to 
be represented in WinList (e.g., start winlist on a desk without window
and go to a desk with windows), then the position of the winlist is not 
fixed to +0-0.
- with or without *FvwmWinListShowCurrentDesk (with border width > 0). 
Start winlist so that no windows have to go into it, then map a windows ...

Others WinList bugs:
- WinList can be resized, but this is not supported.
- Sticky window are not taken in acount in a good way with
*FvwmWinListShowCurrentDesk
- If you use (One) FvwmAnimate, Style * Icon and winlist with
*FvwmWinListNoIconAction SendToModule FvwmAnimate animate
Then, we have two animations: one for the icon and one for
the winlist (same bug in IconMan and IconBox).

Maybe I can help on some points.

Olivier

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 17:09:01 +0100

> the winlist (same bug in IconMan and IconBox).

I did think that you could use *FvwmWinListNoIconAction to call a
function that did the following:

*FvwmAnimateEffect Frame
SendToModule FvwmAnimate animate $0 $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 $7
*FvwmAnimateEffect None

so that the animation to the icon wouldn't be shown but it seems that
FvwmAnimate exits when "*FvwmAnimateEffect None" is given. I'm not sure
why this is the case, it may be a bug.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 13:39:21 -0400

> why this is the case, it may be a bug.

It was done on purpose, here's what I was thinking:

     *FvwmAnimateEffect mode
          Tells  FvwmAnimate  which  animation  effect  to   use.
          Currently  the effects are :  Frame, Lines, Flip, Turn,
          Zoom3D, Twist Random, and None.  None is  normally  set
          in  the  configuration  file,  in-case  FvwmAnimate  is
          started automatically, but an individual  user  doesn't
          want it running.

So, you want to be able to animate to the winlist, iconbox, or iconman
but not to the icon, but you do want icons.

Looks like it needs:

*FvwmAnimateIconifyAnimate Off|On

or something like that...

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:27:26 +0200

> but not to the icon, but you do want icons.

But the man page says (same for iconbox, iconman and taskbar):

        *FvwmWinListNoIconAction action
              Tells  FvwmWinList  to  do  action is when a NoIcon
              style window is iconified or de-iconified. ...

So, with the current spec. the double animation (winlist + icon) is
a bug. However, we may want to change this spec. Personally I like
the current spec because it is "automatic", you can ask by default
to the modules to animate and when you switch between Icon and NoIcon
the animation switch too.
 
> or something like that...

But we have to change the name of the module config command
or add an other command and modify FvwmAnimate. On the other
hand it is not very difficult to respect the current spec.
I've recently do it for the taskbar and I think that I can
do it for the others "application managers". 
Any way, we need a fixed spec. to go to 2.4, and this is the
only important thing in IMHO. 
So, I suggest to do not change the spec. but I'm personally
not against a change if the proposal came with the code 
proposition :)

Olivier

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 11:07:02 +0100

> the animation switch too.

It does look like a bug. FvwmWinList should not do the NoIconAction if
there is an icon, there is a test (IS_ICON_SUPRESSED(x)) that seems to
be not working. Actually what is happening is that switching between
Icons and NoIcons isn't getting communicated to a running FvwmWinList.
If you restart FvwmWinList it works properly.

What happens when you do a 'Style * Icon'? I guess that fvwm should send
a configure packet for each window and that FvwmWinList should update
its structures.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 08:04:39 -0400

> If you restart FvwmWinList it works properly.

I just noticed the same behavior in FvwmIconMan, I'll take the blame
here since I put the Animate support in IconMan. Mine is for a different reason though I'm not checking IS_ICON_SUPPRESSED so  once you get the
IS_ICON_SUPPRESSED call working again it needs to be added to xmanager.c
as well.

-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:31:00 +0200

> a configure packet for each window and that FvwmWinList should update

Yes, fvwm2 send a config packet for this since a recent commit. The
"GSFR" flags are not updated and that the bug.
I can fix WinList and also IconMan and IconBox I guess.
Olivier
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]