Subject: Re: The concept of etc/ configuration information

From: Psi-Jack <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Apr 2000 15:32:58 CDT

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:12:30 -0400, Dan Espen said:
>  > 
>  > Well, All the stuff in sysconfdir/fvwm are script or form. Form*,
>  Script*
>  > both use FvwmForm, or FvwmScript. 
>  > Config* could probably be really considered a "Config" file that
should
>  > be in etcdir (sysconfdir).
>  > 
>  > But Script* and Form* technically by standards would not be config
>  files,
>  > because they are fvwm-native FvwmForm and FvwmScript, and should be
in
>  a
>  > shared directory such as FVWM_PREFIX/share/fvwm, instead of
>  ETCDIR/fvwm..
>  > This would deduct logical good practice to keep them like that.
>  > I'll give you an example: Config files, like system.fvwm2rc, and
>  > fvwm/Config*, belong in ETCDIR/fvwm/, where Script* and Form* belong
in
>  > FVWM_PREFIX/share/fvwm.  If I keep my sysconfdir as /etc/X11/fvwm,
like
>  > Debian, RedHat, or most distros do, then those Scripts and Forms are
>  > eating up my very valuable / partition. I keep my / at 80mb, which
is
>  > more than enough for what _should_ be stored in / and /etc.  /usr,
>  /var,
>  > and /home are seperate partitions, and /opt, is an optional
partition
>  > which some distros, and people, use. I stopped making an /opt,
myself,
>  > but once I get a bigger HD, I'll use /opt again.
>  > 
>  > 
>  > You see my point? If not, feel free to ask me some questions. I'm
all
>  > ears and all answers.
>  
>  Just this once,  I'll answer  off-line, although I  don't  think its a
>  good idea.

Sorry about that. This is quite honestly the first time I've been playing
an active role in a mailing list. I usually just read them to keep
up-to-date about things.

>  You can take FormFvwmQuitVerify. and put it right inside
system.fvwm2rc
>  and the quit verify form works exactly like it did before.  Therefore
>  its no different than system.fvwm2rc.  (In my opinion.)

Well, let me give you another example. Each 0-4096byte files will always
be 4096bytes on HD bigger than 524mb. That's the physical block size of
the HD itself. I don't know many people that still have 524mb or less
HD's just laying around, and using them as their / partitions. ;)

However, to promote the use of a theme engine, and to keep a cleaner
sysconfdir, a DATADIR, like share/fvwm, would be a great idea. That way,
a theme engine (fvwm-themes and fvwm-themer to name two), can use the
DATADIR, instead of the CONFIGDIR.

>  Your space arguments make no sense to me.  Maybe you are thinking
>  of something in themes?  The byte count for fvwm's usage of /etc is
>  288,000.  Half of that is system.fvwm2rc-sample-95.
>  100K out of 80mb is really small.
>  
>  I don't know what this means:
>  
>  > But Script* and Form* technically by standards would not be config
>  files,
>  > because they are fvwm-native FvwmForm and FvwmScript, and should be
in
>  a
>  
>  Take a look in any of the FormFvwm files, they start with
>  "DestroyModuleConfig".	Thats an fvwm command, not an FvwmForm
command.
>  FvwmForm doesn't directory read those files, it causes fvwm to read
them.

-- 
  -- Psi-Jack <Jack into the Matrix/NOW!!!>

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]