Subject: Re: fvwm working with lock keys

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:17:23 -0700

Note that I'm copying fvwm-workers... Someone else probably has a
better idea of what's going on than me.

Previously from Huver
>About my suggested patch for ignoring lock keys:
>
>> Thanks. Err, have you looked at the IgnoreModifiers command in the 2.3
>> series betas? I haven't compared your work to it, but AFAIK they
>> accomplish the same goal.
>
>Great to hear it has been addressed.  I'm not an fvwm developer, and
>simply built the 2.2.4 release from FreeBSD ports (they have pre-built
>2.2.4 binary, but the machine I worked on has "non-standard" components
>so I needed to build fvwm2 from source).  Duplicated work is common for
>"open source" projects.  :-)
>
>Only one bit of suggestion: those 3 "lock keys" should be ignored by
>a win mgr, because they are meant to "stay", instead of being momentary
>switches.  In that regard, users do not use lock keys to indicate any
>action to the win mgr.  Besides, we program writers know much more tech
>details than users, e.g. we can "know" which modifier is AIX using for
>NumLock, a user (not doing any X11 programming) should not be required
>to figure this out.

I think the issue is that only in more recent XFree86 builds (maybe
3.2?) have ScrollLock and NumLock become lockable modifiers. The code
you were looking at wasn't aware that there are other lock-type
modifiers, hence it's obsession with CapsLock to the exclusion of the
other, newer(?) locks.

But for some reason doing something quite similar to what you did in
events.c (Handle{Key|Button}Press) apparently causes a massive rise in
X protocol traffic when handling Fvwm bindings. We don't disable the
other locks, as a result. Can someone correct me if I'm getting this
wrong? I only vaguely remember this problem.

In any event, if you don't mean for ScrollLock or NumLock to be
lockable modifiers, it's probably better to use xmodmap to turn off
locking on the modifier. Doing so is documented in the FVWM FAQ.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
Why do we still live here in this repulsive town? All our friends are in New
York." Stephen Merritt
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]