Subject: Wish: Style options InitialSize and InitialPosition

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 15:38:08 +0200

Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
uname output: Linux loreto 2.2.13 #23 Tue Mar 7 20:50:31 CET 2000 i586 unknown
Compiler: gcc
Compilation CFLAGS: -g -O2
prefix: /usr/local
sysconfdir: /usr/local/etc
libexecdir: /usr/local/libexec

FVWM Version: 2.3.15
FVWM_CONFIGDIR: unset
FVWM_MODULEDIR: /usr/local/libexec/fvwm/2.3.15
FVWM_USERHOME: unset

Description:
	Many programs does not supply meaningful position and size
	values for their windows, and many does not heed a geometry
	setting in the X resources.  This is especially marked with GTK
	applications.

	A good example of the problem are the dialogs of Gimp and the
	associated guash plugin.  They make progress dialogs when
	loading and saving files, and successive dialogs wander along the
	screen, as they are placed automatically.  There is no way to
	control their positioning with fvwm, not as far as I know at
	least.  GTK and Gimp does not give any control over the placing.

	I would like to be able to tell fvwm to place these dialogs in a
	fixed position, like centered on the screen or centered on
	50%,25%.

	A solution to such behaviour would be to set a default position
	and/or size in the Style for the windows, with styles like
	InitialPosition and InitialSize.  Alternatively a WindowInitFunc
	could be specified, to be called when the window is mapped. That
	function could then move and resize the window.

	It would be very useful to be able to place a window centered on
	a given position, without knowing the size of the window.

	Another example comes to mind. I have used StarOffice a bit, and
	it makes one huge window. I then started it with the same
	setup-files on another machine, and the window came up larger
	than the screen. MaxWindowSize fixed that, but the window was
	still placed with origin outside the screen.  An 'InitialPosition
	0 0' could have solved that. Likewise 'InitialSize 100 100'
	could force it to start full-screen.

	Arguably this should not be in the window manager, but I don't
	think gtk will be made to use X resources in the future. I am
	afraid the gtk and Gimp developers will say this is a window
	manager issue, that the application should dictate where to
	place the windows.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2000 10:02:08 -0400

> 	manager issue, that the application should dictate where to

Look at your NoPPostion/UsePPosition setting, it affects how fvwm pays
attention to application supplied hints.

Have you tried the various "placement" options fvwm provides,
"Smart", "Clever", "Dumb", ...

Also look at FvwmEvent.  I think you may be able to write functions
that recognize specific windows and move and resize them as they are
created.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]