Subject: CVS domivogt: * Fixed problem that modules don't know about iconified state if an application

From: CVS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:31:57 -0600 (CST)

CVSROOT:	/home/cvs/fvwm
Module name:	fvwm
Changes by:	domivogt	00/03/24 04:31:57

Modified files:
	.              : ChangeLog 
	fvwm           : events.c functions.c functions.h 
	                 module_interface.c module_interface.h 
	libs           : Module.c Module.h 
	modules        : ChangeLog 
	modules/FvwmAnimate: FvwmAnimate.c 
	modules/FvwmDebug: FvwmDebug.c 
	modules/FvwmIconMan: fvwm.c 

Log message:
* Fixed problem that modules don't know about iconified state if an application
starts iconic (or during a recapture).

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:59:15 -0800

Previously from CVS
>Log message:
>* Fixed problem that modules don't know about iconified state if an applicatio

Ah, a fix! I'm still confused by the fact that FvwmDebug reported that
the new AddWindow packet flags value was 6... It should be a pointer
to a struct, no? Hence something more like 082f3d08 would have made
more sense?

Also, according to the mod_f2m_communication.html page, the flag
packet is located at byte 11. Unless I'm misunderstanding, I believe
it's actually at the end. Here's a documentation patch:

Index: mod_f2m_communication.html
===================================================================
RCS file: /home/cvs/fvwm/fvwm-web/mod_f2m_communication.html,v
retrieving revision 1.2
diff -u -r1.2 mod_f2m_communication.html
--- mod_f2m_communication.html  1999/11/13 09:07:31     1.2
+++ mod_f2m_communication.html  2000/03/24 15:58:17
@@ -90,7 +90,7 @@
 <P>
 <H2><A NAME="M_ADD_WINDOW">M_ADD_WINDOW</A>, and <A NAME="M_CONFIGURE_WINDOW">M_CONFIGURE_WINDOW</A></H2>
 <P>
-These packets contain 24 values. The first 3 identify the window, and
+These packets contain 27 values. The first 3 identify the window, and
 the next twelve identify the location and size, as described in the
 table below. Configure packets will be generated when the
 viewport on the current desktop changes, or when the size or location
@@ -128,7 +128,7 @@
 <TR><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP>
 10   </TD><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP> Desktop number</TD></TR>
 <TR><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP>
-11   </TD><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP> Windows flags field</TD></TR>
+11   </TD><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP>unused</TD></TR>
 <TR><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP>
 12   </TD><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP> Window Title Height (pixels) </TD></TR>
 <TR><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP>
@@ -159,6 +159,8 @@
 25   </TD><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP> Pixel value of the text color </TD></TR>
 <TR><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP>
 26   </TD><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP> Pixel value of the window border color </TD></TR>
+<TR><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP>
+27   </TD><TD VALIGN=BASELINE ALIGN=LEFT NOWRAP> Windows flags field</TD></TR>
 </TBODY>
 </TABLE>
 </P></DIV><P><H2>
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"Notice how I  blame my own mistakes  on the lack  of rules?" - Dan Espen 
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:52:38 +0100

> to a struct, no? Hence something more like 082f3d08 would have made

The online documentation is out of date. The 6 is the layer now and the
flags are at the end of the packet. I'm not sure when we should update
the web pages. The CVS version isn't "official" so I don't think the web
paes should track the CVS version, or should it?

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:27:34 -0500

> paes should track the CVS version, or should it?

Each part of the online documentation has its own rules.
The module interface documentation is only useful for developers.
Developers should always be working against the current CVS.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:12:55 -0800

Previously from Dan Espen
>Developers should always be working against the current CVS.

I'd say that makes most sense, too.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"And, just like it should in all stories about philosophers, it ended
up in complete chaos." - Richard P. Feynman
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:22:24 -0800

Previously from Tim Phipps
>flags are at the end of the packet.

Just for my own edification, where did you slice this into the packet
description? Files like libs/vpacket.h and fvwm/module_interface.c
(the NEWCONFIGARGS stuff) don't give any indication that a new ulong
is present... I'd made the false assumption that those descriptions
would be authoritative. Unless I'm somehow looking at old data, but I
am using cvsweb at the moment.

Anyway, where (in the sources) does one look for descriptions of
module packets and their contents?

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:51:39 -0500

> module packets and their contents?

Each message type has its own format.  Only the first part of the packet
is standardized.

You really have to look at the code that generates the packet.