Subject: Mod3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:48:15 -0600 (CST)

Full_Name: Nathalie Luvisetto
Version: 2.1.5
CVS_Date: 
OS: Solaris 2.6
X_Server: /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun
Submission from: (NULL) (212.249.20.173)

On my keyboard, I want to be able to use the numeric keypad in order to
enter numbers in the entry fields of my appications. Unfortunately when
playing with the "Num Lock" key (switching on/off), my applications have a
strange behavior: Not all numbers are available from the keypad and there
is also un focus problem. Moreover, when the "Num Lock" key is on I cannot
move anymore any windows : they are stuck to their place.

As I WOULD even PREFER to have the numeric keypad always behaving like
numerics without consideration for the state of the "Num Lock" key (on or
off), I've try to force every numeric keys to ONLY its numeric value using
commands like :
xmodmap -e 'keycode 57 = KP_Decimal KP_Decimal KP_Decimal KP_Decimal'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 75 = KP_7 KP_7 KP_7 KP_7'
xmodmap -e 'keycode 76 = KP_8 KP_8 KP_8 KP_8'
in the .cshrc of the user.
This solution works perfectly with CDE (every numeric key gives a numeric
value without consideration of the state of the "Num Lock" key and
applications work perfectly), but when I'm using fvwm with these same
commands in the .cshrc file, I have the following problems: When the "Num
Lock" key is activated (state on) I cannot move anymore my windows and I
have some focus problems making me loosing my hand on the applications (I
cannot have the focus back on the application).
What can I do to have the same behavior under fvwm as I have under CDE ?

Thanks for your answer.

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:42:47 +0100

> What can I do to have the same behavior under fvwm as I have under CDE ?

Please refer to Q5.5 in our FAQ (available at http://fvwm.org/) for
a detailed explanation of your problem.  Since the 2.3.x beta releases
there's the IgnoreModifiers command that can help you (2.1.5 won't do):

  IgnoreModifiers L2

This tells fvwm to ignore the caps-lock and num-lock keys entirely.
The drawback is that the extra communication with the X server
grows exponentially with the number of modifiers you want to ignore.
In extreme cases (slow network connection, many modifiers) it can take
many seconds before new windows/icons are displayed.  Two modifiers
should be pretty straightforward, though.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]