Subject: Notification: incoming/580

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:04:50 -0600 (CST)

FVWM Bug Tracking notification

new message incoming/580

Message summary for PR#580
	From: [email-masked]
	Subject: xterm and window manager: somewhere there is a bug
	Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:04:48 -0600 (CST)
	0 replies 	0 followups

====> ORIGINAL MESSAGE FOLLOWS <====

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 07 Mar 2000 15:41:56 -0500

%% [email-masked] writes:

  f> I have pine 4.10, XFree86 3.3.2 with XFree86 xterm, Fvwm 2.3.15

  f> - I launch the pine mail program in an xterm.
  f> - I maximize xterm with the fvwm2 builtin Maximize function.
  f> - pine behaves correctly and adjusts to the new window size
  f> - but now, I right click to change the font to a smaller one
  f> - the xterm is blanked out for a few seconds, then pine reappears
  f>   occupying only part of the screen (incorrectly).

  f> I repeat the experiment without pine:

  f> - I launch an xterm.
  f> - echo $LINES (output: just '\n', as I noted in another e-mail, anyway...)
  f> - I maximize xterm with the fvwm2 builtin Maximize function.
  f> - echo $LINES (output: 43)
  f> - change font to "Tiny" (output: 43 ... wrong!)
  f> - Minimize and then Maximize with fvwm2 builtin Maximize function.
  f> - echo $LINES (output: 80 ... right!)

Seems more like an xterm bug than fvwm.

Does it work right if you use a different window manager?  Does it work
right if you use, say, the latest rxvt instead of xterm?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Neil Zanella <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:59:47 -0330 (NST)

On 7 Mar 2000, Paul D. Smith wrote:

> Does it work right if you use a different window manager?

Well, I just tried it under KDE and what KDE did was readjust the size of
the window when I changed the font through xterm's CTRL-Right mouse
button. So yes, it did behave correctly.

> Does it work

As far as I know rxvt does not have the builtin right mouse click
mechanism that xterm has.

Regards,

Neil