Subject: tkgoodstuff

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:42:42 -0500

Our link to tkGoodStuff is no longer working.

Anyone know the current status of tkGoodStuff?

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 09:58:35 -0500 (EST)

> Anyone know the current status of tkGoodStuff?

I'm currently maintaining it, but it's very hard pressed to keep up with
Fvwm2, mostly because the module protocol seems to keep changing; I can get a
version running for fvwm2.2, but it won't work for 2.3.  Etc.

I was thinking of reducing it to a "FvwmTk" module, maintained within fvwm2,
that could then run tkgoodstuff, or other tcl/tk programs, as necessary.

However, 2.3 seems to be in feature freeze, so I cannot do it for 2.3/2.4. I'm
waiting for the next development release to add that to Fvwm.

I know this isn't a complete answer, but it's the best I can do right now.

-- 
Larry Gensch                                          [email-masked]

                  "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:40:37 -0500

> version running for fvwm2.2, but it won't work for 2.3.  Etc.

We've slowed down now.  Might be a good time to try to catch up.

> However, 2.3 seems to be in feature freeze, so I cannot do it for 2.3/2.4.
> I'm waiting for the next development release to add that to Fvwm.
> 

Do you have a URL I can fix our broken link with?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:09:36 -0500 (EST)

> We've slowed down now.  Might be a good time to try to catch up.

It's not just fvwm; it seems that the widget code within tkgoodstuff relies on
internal data structures in tcl/tk that have changed since 8.0.  That, plus
the fvwm module stuff, had made keeping tkgoodstuff up to date difficult.

Right now, I cannot recommend it.

> Do you have a URL I can fix our broken link with?

Not yet.  I wasn't aware that Mark's site had gone away.  Please disable the
link for now, and I'll try to set something up, but anything I release will
currently be version specific to tcl/tk AND fvwm2, which makes it less useful
"to the masses."

When 2.5 or whatever the next development release is started, I'll put
together a FvwmTk module that hopefully will be welcomed within fvwm and will
allow me to focus on the tcl/tk aspects of tkgoodstuff.  There is really a
need for a self-configuring button-bar for fvwm2... some people just don't
like the arcane syntax of fvwm configuration files.  With FvwmTk, I can simply
extract tkgoodstuff's "engine" and define a plug-in architecture for tiny
"tclets" to be written.

Unfortunately, my FvwmTk and tclet idea came a couple of weeks after fvwm2.3
was declared to be in "feature freeze."  [frown]