Subject: PositiveWrite problem

From: Nagi Aboulenein <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 16:31:15 -0800 (PST)

Hi All,

Another issue I noticed while running fvwm-2.3.15 is that, with
a large number of windows open (on the order of 12-15), an
fvwm2 restart often results in the following error message, and
a failure to correctly start the FvwmIconBox module:

[FVWM][PositiveWrite]: <<ERROR>> Failed to read descriptor:
- data available=N
- terminate signal=N

Removing one or two of the open windows fixes the issue.

Again, the platform on which I'm seeing this behaviour is:

Red Hat Linux release 6.1 (Cartman)
Kernel 2.2.12-20smp on an i686
X server: XFree86-3.3.6 or XFree86-4.0 or Exceed-6.1 (happens
on all of them)
fvwm2rc: see attached tar archive.

I have attached a gzipped tar file containing my fvwm2 startup
files.

Thanks,

Nagi Aboulenein

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:53:32 -0500

> Removing one or two of the open windows fixes the issue.

Please try adding this to your .fvwm2rc:

ModuleTimeout 60

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Chris Rankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 23:39:20 +1100 (EST)

> Removing one or two of the open windows fixes the issue.

It means that FVWM has given up waiting for one of its modules to
reply, and so has killed it. The length of the timeout is a
configuration parameter - try adding

ModuleTimeout 10

to your .fvwm2rc file. (I *think* that this feature is in 2.3.15.) The
units are in seconds and the default value is 5, so it looks like your
system must be pretty slow with all those windows open.

Chris.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 13:15:21 +0100

> system must be pretty slow with all those windows open.

The, shouldn't we increase the timeout to 10 seconds?

This should be documented somewhere (FAQ?, BUGS section?).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 07:28:58 -0500

>From the problem report it appears that 5 is not enough.

I'm thinking a number more like 50.

---

From: "Nagi M. Aboulenein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:28:57 -0800

Thanks all for the ModuleTimeout suggestion. In my case I've found a timeout
value of 10 to do the trick.

Thanks,

Nagi Aboulenein
--
Required disclaimer: I don't speak for Intel.

---

From: Chris Rankin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 10:17:50 +1100 (EST)

> This should be documented somewhere (FAQ?, BUGS section?).

Surely the point of making this a parameter in the .fvwm2rc file is
that we don't have to guess any more. Everybody can have the timeout
that they want / need. And even if we do increase the default to 10
seconds there will be people who will need 15 seconds etc.

But yes, I will add a section on this to the docs/FAQ file.

Chris.

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 03:36:56 +0200

> I'm thinking a number more like 50.

Agree. I was thinking about at least 30 as the default myself.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:49:41 +0100

> Agree. I was thinking about at least 30 as the default myself.

Me too. Short timeouts are bad. If a timeout is needed to break a
deadlock it means something is wrong and we won't ever get a chance to
fix it if no-one notices the timeout.

Cheers,
Tim.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 21:44:37 +0200

> fix it if no-one notices the timeout.

Okay, I'll change it to 30 seconds.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]