Subject: COT: Emacs 20.x and Exceed?

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:08:18 -0500 (EST)

I know this is _completely_ off-topic, but I also know there are some
knowledgeable Exceed users here, and I am not one...

Someone here uses Exceed to display Emacs, and I just forced everyone to
update to the latest Emacs version, 20.6.

He says that ever since Emacs 20.2 (where I has installed Erik Naggum's
MBSK, so MULE was not there) he's seeing a problem with fixed fonts in
Emacs.  He writes:

> Line spacing is off. I get about 1/2 line of extra space between lines. Not
> fatal granted, but highly annoying. This is using the font:
>
>  -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
>
> basically 6x13, supposed to be using c:\program files\exceed.nt\font\misc\...

Is anyone aware of any font issues surrounding Emacs 20.x and Exceed, or
thoughts on how to fix this one?

Thanks...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:09:38 -0500

> thoughts on how to fix this one?

I use Exceed 6.1 and XEmacs 20.4.

For 6x13 I use:

"-*-*-bold-*-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-*-60-iso8859-*"

(I think the bold fonts in X are the only ones worth using.)

No problems here, but I understand XEmacs has a completely different
display engine.

Exceed supplies its own fonts (as it should) but this sounds more like
an Emacs 20.2 problem.

If updating Emacs versions helped, whats left to fix?

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Mar 2000 13:26:25 -0500

>> thoughts on how to fix this one?

  de> I use Exceed 6.1 and XEmacs 20.4.

  de> For 6x13 I use:

  de> "-*-*-bold-*-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-*-60-iso8859-*"

  de> (I think the bold fonts in X are the only ones worth using.)

  de> No problems here, but I understand XEmacs has a completely different
  de> display engine.

  de> Exceed supplies its own fonts (as it should) but this sounds more like
  de> an Emacs 20.2 problem.

  de> If updating Emacs versions helped, whats left to fix?

The language in my post may have been confusing.  The problem didn't
happen in 20.2, but has happened with every version since ("...ever
since Emacs 2.02 he's seeing a problem...").

I'll have him try your font specification and see if that helps.

Thx!

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Mar 2000 14:27:38 -0500

Never mind: problem solved.  Apparently he had enabled "automatic font
substitution" in Exceed sometime in the past; disabling that fixed the
problem.

Sorry for the digression...