Subject: FvwmTaskBar patch ...

From: Oleg Cherkasov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 11:07:09 +0300 (MSK)

Dear All,

Let me introduce a patch for fvwm/extras/FvwmTaskBar module.  ChangeLog entry
is below.  The changes have been made for 2.2.2 release of fvwm.  To apply
patch:

      cd {where_is_fvwm-2.2.2_directory}
      patch -d . < fvwm-2.2.2-FvwmTaskBar.patch

It should work for 2.2.4 as well.

2000-02-01  Oleg Cherkasov  <[email-masked]>

        * fvwm/extras/FvwmTaskBar/ButtonArray.c:
        * fvwm/extras/FvwmTaskBar/FvwmTaskBar.c:
        * fvwm/extras/FvwmTaskBar/Goodies.c: Minor bugs fixes.
        'FvwmTaskBarClockFormat' parameters could have 'None' value.
        'FvwmTaskBarContinuation' has been added.  'AutoHide' mode
        has been updated.  Default border width is zero now.

        * fvwm/extras/FvwmTaskBar/FvwmTaskBar.1: Updated
        'FvwmTaskBarClockFormat' and 'FvwmTaskBarContinuation'
        descriptions.

Hope you will find it interesting.

Oleg

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:54:36 +0100

On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 11:07:09AM +0300, Oleg Cherkasov wrote:
Content-Description: message body text
> Hope you will find it interesting.

Uh, could you redo these patches for the latest beta code
(use a snapshot or 2.3.13, both available on our web page).
2.3.13 is lightyears away from the code in 2.2.2, so I have
no hope to apply this patch without conflicts.

I'd like to know more about the patch to AutoHide since I
consider the current autohiding buggy at best.

Finally, if you add new features, please provide a patch
for the FvwmTaskbar man page and the NEWS file (you might
want to add an entry in AUTHORS too).

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
The adjuration to be "normal" seems shockingly repellent to me; I see neither
hope nor comfort in sinking to that low level.  I think it is ignorance that
makes people think of abnormality only with horror and allows them to remain
undismayed at the proximity of "normal" to average and mediocre.  For surely
anyone who achieves anything is, essentially, abnormal.
                -- Dr. Karl Menninger, "The Human Mind", 1930

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:50:13 +0100

> consider the current autohiding buggy at best.

Hum, do you speak about the Slippery vs AutoHide bug ?
For this I've no solution and you know that we need an
internal autohide style for fixing that (or maybe lock on
send completly the TaskBar ...).
IMHO the AutoHide option work fine nowdays if you configure
fvwm in a good way (Sticky TaskBar and no vertical page scrolling),
as with the 2.2 version it is almost not useable with a non zero 
border width. 

Any way, Oleg, I'm and everybody on this mailing list
are interested about any amelioration of the TaskBar.
However, note that currently fvwm is "feature freezed".
So I do not know if your new config options Continuation
and "Clock none" can be added now. These may have to wait the
next devel version. Note also that the 2.2.13 TaskBar support
any border width (and the TaskBar do not autohide if the cursor
is on the border :)

Olivier

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:38:36 +0100

> Hum, do you speak about the Slippery vs AutoHide bug ?

No.  I was thiunking about some old bug reports about
auto hiding and that there still is no clean solution.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 08:08:59 +0100

> auto hiding and that there still is no clean solution.

Yes I've saw these old bug reports. I think that perhaps these
bug repports is caused by using an AutoHide TaskBar with some
vertical page scrolling. Maybe, we can add a note to the 
AutoHide man page entrie:

"Note: For that this option works fine you must use a Sticky
FvwmTaskBar and no vertical page scrolling"

OLivier

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 07:19:11 +0100

> FvwmTaskBar and no vertical page scrolling"

I think such a note is already there.  I'd prefer if the
TaskBar simply worked without having the user to worry
about details.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Oleg Cherkasov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 12:29:21 +0300 (MSK)

>>>>> "Olivier" == Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]> writes:
 Olivier> 
 Olivier> Hum, do you speak about the Slippery vs AutoHide bug ?

Well, if you will explain the problem i will try to think about that.  Probably
i know 'Slippery vs AutoHide' bug as something different.  Sorry, but i am not
reading fvwm bug list very often.

 Olivier> For this I've no solution and you know that we need an
 Olivier> internal autohide style for fixing that (or maybe lock on
 Olivier> send completly the TaskBar ...).
 Olivier> IMHO the AutoHide option work fine nowdays if you configure
 Olivier> fvwm in a good way (Sticky TaskBar and no vertical page scrolling),
 Olivier> as with the 2.2 version it is almost not useable with a non zero 
 Olivier> border width. 

Two things have been changed, TaskBar will autohide if another window has got a
focus (sometimes TaskBar could stay on top for a long time) and Start button
will go back to 'unpressed' mode if TaskBar went out of the screen.

 Olivier> 
 Olivier> Any way, Oleg, I'm and everybody on this mailing list
 Olivier> are interested about any amelioration of the TaskBar.
 Olivier> However, note that currently fvwm is "feature freezed".
 Olivier> So I do not know if your new config options Continuation
 Olivier> and "Clock none" can be added now. These may have to wait the
 Olivier> next devel version. Note also that the 2.2.13 TaskBar support
 Olivier> any border width (and the TaskBar do not autohide if the cursor
 Olivier> is on the border :)

Well, i will merge my changes with 2.2.13.  We can choose later the fwvm
release will contain it finally.

Oleg