Subject: ?Gradient dithering

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 05:02:13 -0500

has anyone considered adding support to dither ?Gradients on displays <
24bpp?  The only gradient that looks decent on a titlebar in 16bpp is a
VGradient, due to 16bpp's limited color range :(  I'd code it myself and
submit a patch, but I really have no idea how to do it.

-- 
Ben Winslow           /   [email-masked]
bluecherry internet   /   http://www.bluecherry.net
|Rain| @ IRC          /   anynet: irc.anynet.org

---

From: Joerg Klemenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 20:24:15 +0100

> submit a patch, but I really have no idea how to do it.

Everyone should realize that people who run their x server at 15/16bpp do so
for a reason. Mostly because the computer is old/slow/has low mem.
Dithering needs a lot of CPU time and memory. This would put an additional
burden on an already crawling machine.  Also the algorithm is not trivial and
would increase the memory requirements on all systems (unless build as module?).

There should be an other way to make gradients look better at 16bpp. I also
noticed that gradients look somewhat silly at 15bpp. Looks like a little green
pops up in a gray/gray gradient. Looks like a bug to *me*.

BTW: The manual should make the cpu/memory demands of the "fancy" gradients
(ying-yang etc.) more clear IMHO.

--
joerg klemenz
[email-masked]

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Ben Winslow <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 17:08:17 -0500

> would increase the memory requirements on all systems (unless build as module?).
	I completely agree here-- I think it should *absolutely* be optional
to have the gradients dithered.  However, while my system is pretty decent,
my video card only has 2mb of ram, and I'd really rather not run in 800x600
to get the extra colors.  I'm planning to get a new video card in the future,
but I'm broke at the moment, so....

	I'm sure I'm not the only one in this scenario, too.  I'm sure many
high-school/college students using fvwm are on a tight budget, and a
graphics card isn't neccesarily a high priority when upgrading a system.

[snip]