Subject: session management

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 19:38:20 -0800

Uh, two questions:

1) Does anyone know how to get fvwm2 to run on separate, non-related
dpy's on the same box? I've gotten used to being able to start two X
servers -- totally different memory space, tty, etc. -- on one box. I
generally do this if I want to much around a bunch with fvwm without
disturbing my regular X environment. When I try to launch a second
instance of fvwm2, now that my environment supports sessions, I get a
message from fvwm2 informing me that it detects another ICCCM2 wm
running and doesn't seem to want to run. Boo hoo. I suspect this would
also cause trouble with nesting an X session in Xnest, though I
haven't tried yet. Anyone know a way around this without losing
session management?

2) Anyone know how to build fvwm2 without session management support?
I've tried --without-session and --disable-session at ./configure
time... It doesn't appear to be listed as an option in ./configure
--help.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
Why do we still live here in this repulsive town? All our friends are in New
York." Stephen Merritt
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2000 19:19:09 +0200

> time... It doesn't appear to be listed as an option in ./configure

--disable-session is on todo list.
Currently you can edit config.h manually before 'make', add #undef SESSION.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 07:26:04 +0100

> Currently you can edit config.h manually before 'make', add #undef SESSION.

If it's on the to-do list you should consider removing it
and using a built in command instead.  The way to go in
the future is to remove as many configure options as
possible.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 08:29:04 +0100

> haven't tried yet. Anyone know a way around this without losing

I've no idea how session management works, but given the error
message it seems that the session manager grabs the '_XA_WIN_SX'
resource (no idea what this is, Matthias?).  This is detected by fvwm
and it refuses to start up by default (otherwise you could accidentally
nuke your fvwm session).  Maybe starting fvwm with '-replace' will help.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
The adjuration to be "normal" seems shockingly repellent to me; I see neither
hope nor comfort in sinking to that low level.  I think it is ignorance that
makes people think of abnormality only with horror and allows them to remain
undismayed at the proximity of "normal" to average and mediocre.  For surely
anyone who achieves anything is, essentially, abnormal.
                -- Dr. Karl Menninger, "The Human Mind", 1930

---

From: [email-masked] (Matthias Clasen)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:49:30 +0100

> nuke your fvwm session).  Maybe starting fvwm with '-replace' will help.

ICCCM2 demands that all kinds of `managers' (eg wms or colormap managers)
show their presence by grabbing the selection ownership for a selection
named according to a certain scheme. The ICCCM2 also defines a protocol
to allow graceful handling of takeovers (thats what -replace is for).

For window managers, the name is WIN_S<screen number>. 

There should be no problem with starting two instances of fvwm on two
different displays. Are you sure you got the display names right ?

-- 
Matthias Clasen, 
Tel. 0761/203-5606
Email: [email-masked]
Mathematisches Institut, Albert-Ludwigs-Universitaet Freiburg
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 22:30:48 -0800

Previously from Matthias Clasen
>different displays. Are you sure you got the display names right ?

Sorry if this is duplicate Matthias. I'm pretty sure I set DISPLAY
before trying to start fvwm on the second display. I'll double-check
next time I rebuild fvwm, but for now I've disabled session support,
so I can't verify my report. Typically I start the second X server
with the server arg ':1' and set DISPLAY to the same. Is the
minimalist DISPLAY arg to blame?
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"What was your username?" - BOFH
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]