Subject: FvwmButtons Swallow problem?

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 2000 14:40:54 -0500

I have a ~/.FvwmButtons file containing this (among other things):

 # --- System load monitor

 (4x1, Size 261 66, Frame 0, \
	Swallow (NoClose, UseOld) XSysStats 'Exec exec xsysup')

 # --- Swallow the CD player

 (3x1, Size 195 60, Frame 0, \
 	Swallow (NoClose, UseOld) miniXMcd 'Exec exec xmcd -name miniXMcd')

(the first one is a shell script that invokes xsysstats).

Doesn't this look right?  Because the UseOld option isn't working.  When
I restart the old apps aren't killed (as I'd expect with NoClose): they
go into limbo (I can't see their windows but ps shows that the processes
are still running--plus my CD drive is now busy for the second and
subsequent xmcd invocations since the first one has it locked).

I don't see how it could be a hangon name mismatch since it swallows
them OK in the first place.

I originally had no commas between the options, like this:

    ... Swallow (NoClose UseOld) miniXMcd 'Exec exec xmcd -name miniXMcd'

and that didn't work, so I thought I'd add a comma just to be sure.  But
it still doesn't work.

Help?  What is the correct syntax here?  I don't see anything in the
FvwmButtons man page about it.  I don't see any syntax errors in my log
file.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:00:16 +0100

> FvwmButtons man page about it.  I don't see any syntax errors in my log

THe syntax is correct and it works well if you simply kill
FvwmButtons instead of restarting fvwm.  I believe the problem
is that unswallowing while fvwm shuts down does something
horrible to the window.  I guess when FvwmButtons exits, it
unmaps the window, and requests to map it again, but since
fvwm is not reacting to map requests anymore the window
remains in unmapped state.  When fvwm starts up again it
is never asked to re-map the window.

---------------- half an hour later ---------------

Yup.  My theory was correct.  Fvwm unselected SubstructureRedirect
on the root window only after the modules had been killed.  Thus
it simply ignored the new MapRequest.

Fixed.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]