Subject: Re: FVWM: Config Help

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:42:01 -0500

Tim Phipps <[email-masked]> writes:
> Jerry Alexandratos wrote:
> > 
> > Dang!!!
> > 
> > I don't suppose anyone is planning on adding this feature?  It's like
> > the only decent feature of that "other" GUI and it greatly accelerates
> > everything.  8(
> 
> I don't think it will happen. Fvwm only reacts to key presses and this
> would require it to listen for key releases and be able to bind
> sequences to functions. How would you specify this behaviour in a
> .fvwm2rc?

I just moved this to fvwm-workers.

Specifying the behavior would seem straight forward:

Menustyle WindowList SelectOnRelease

I don't know what the difficulty would be with the implementation.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jan 2000 11:16:59 -0500

>> sequences to functions. How would you specify this behaviour in a

  de> Specifying the behavior would seem straight forward:

  de> Menustyle WindowList SelectOnRelease

Not bad.  But release of _what_?  Any key that was pressed when the
window was created?  But will that work, because aren't _both_ ALT and
TAB pressed when the window is created?  And the idea is you want to be
able to press/release TAB multiple times to move, but when ALT is
released you select.

Maybe SelectOnRelease could take some kind of specifier?  Of course ALT
isn't a normal key, it's a modifier, so ...

  de> I don't know what the difficulty would be with the implementation.

Ditto, for sure.

The keypress will be sent to one window; will the raise notification
correctly be sent to a different window if it has focus at that time?

Seems esoteric...

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:28:40 -0500

> isn't a normal key, it's a modifier, so ...

Good point, you would have to specify which key being released causes
the select.  A little fooling around with xev convinces me that you
can see the ALT key being released, even when other keys are in play.

> correctly be sent to a different window if it has focus at that time?

If you are using the built in window list, the focus never leaves the
menu until you select something.  Maybe I don't understand your point.

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jan 2000 12:01:26 -0500

de> Good point, you would have to specify which key being released causes
  de> the select.  A little fooling around with xev convinces me that you
  de> can see the ALT key being released, even when other keys are in play.

But, can you press the alt key in another window, then move to the xev
window and see the release?

Ah, I see you can.  Cool.

  de> If you are using the built in window list, the focus never leaves
  de> the menu until you select something.

But when you press the ALT key the window list doesn't exist, so it
can't have focus.  The ALT-TAB combo causes the window to be created,
then get focus.  I wasn't sure if the new window would be able to see
the release if the press happened in another window, but it can.  So
good :).

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:16:56 +0100

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 11:16:59AM -0500, Paul D. Smith wrote:
> Not bad.  But release of _what_?

Modifiers.

> Any key that was pressed when the

Easy.  If everything else fails you can simply poll the state of
the modifiers.

> correctly be sent to a different window if it has focus at that time?

Um, what?  If a menu is active all key presses are swallowed by the
menu code.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]