Subject: things to do before feature freeze?

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 17:19:30 +0100

I can think of two things that should/could/might be done
before the feature freeze:

 1) Make the UseStyle style sensitive to style changes. At the
    moment the only way to update this style is to issue the
    style line with the 'UseStyle' option again.  Not even a
    recapture will help.  I don't know how we can do this
    however.  The problem is that the old style is simply
    overwritten with the 'UseStyle' style and at this moment
    the knowledge of the name of the copied style is lost
    forever.

 2) When I removed the Hilight..., IconFont and WindowFont
    commands in favour of Style options, fvwm lost the ability
    to e.g. let sticky windows have different colours than
    non-sticky ones.  This was possible by a setup like this:

      AddToDecor sticky
      + HilightColor red green

      AddToFunc my_stick_func
      + i stick on
      + i changedecor sticky

    On the other hand it was possible for the hilight colours
    only, but not for the normal window colours.

I think (1) will require a way to nest styles.  I'd do it
before 2.4 if we can think of a easy and safe way to do this;
I can't, however.

Since (2) didn't give much flexibility anyway I think it's
safe to scrap it.  In the future it might be a nice enhancements
if the style of a window could depend on the window state.
Could be implemented as a condition mask a-la Next:

  Style (sticky) ForeColor white, HilightFore white
  Style (!sticky) ForeColor black, HilightFore black

This would consume a lot of CPU because styles must be
recalculated each time anything is done.

Any comments are welcome.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]