Subject: oldecors and cores

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:59:41 -0500

I don't know when this started, but I issued:

style * oldecors

and then iconify any window.

fork> gdb /opt/public/src/fvwm/2.3.14/fvwm2 core         
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.14 (sparc-sun-solaris2.5), 
Copyright 1995 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
Core was generated by `/opt/public/src/fvwm/2.3.14/fvwm2'.
Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
"/usr/platform/SUNW,Ultra-5_10/lib/libc_psr.so.1": not in executable format: File format not recognized.
#0  0xef610ca4 in _end ()
(gdb) where
#0  0xef610ca4 in _end ()
#1  0x616dc in GetXPMFile (tmp_win=0xde3d8)
    at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/icons.c:941
#2  0x5ed14 in CreateIconWindow (tmp_win=0xde3d8, def_x=69, def_y=43)
    at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/icons.c:122
#3  0x6246c in Iconify (tmp_win=0xde3d8, def_x=69, def_y=43)
    at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/icons.c:1228
#4  0x62a34 in iconify_function (eventp=0xad374, w=25166036, tmp_win=0xde3d8, 
    context=64, action=0xe33c7 "", Module=0xefffcc7c)
    at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/icons.c:1349
#5  0x69440 in ExecuteFunction (Action=0xdb110 "Iconify", tmp_win=0xde3d8, 
    eventp=0xad374, context=64, Module=-1, expand_cmd=EXPAND_COMMAND)
    at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/functions.c:818
#6  0x49480 in HandleKeyPress () at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/events.c:488
#7  0x487d0 in DispatchEvent (preserve_Tmp_win=0)
    at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/events.c:210
#8  0x48888 in HandleEvents () at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/events.c:246
#9  0x5538c in main (argc=1, argv=0xefffd25c)
    at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/fvwm.c:708

-- 
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214             E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                       Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:25:01 -0500

>     at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/fvwm.c:708

gdb doesn't do very well on my system, heres the "dbx" result:

=>[1] XTextWidth(0x0, 0xcb488, 0xb, 0x7efefeff, 0x81010100, 0xff00), at 0xef610ca4
  [2] CreateIconWindow(0xde3d8, 0x45, 0x2b, 0x0, 0x0, 0xefffcabd), at 0x5ed0c
  [3] Iconify(0xde3d8, 0x45, 0x2b, 0x30, 0x9, 0x5), at 0x62464
  [4] iconify_function(0xad374, 0x18000d4, 0xde3d8, 0x40, 0xe33c7, 0xefffcc7c), at 0x62a2c
  [5] ExecuteFunction(0xdb110, 0xde3d8, 0xad374, 0x40, 0xffffffff, 0x1), at 0x69438
  [6] HandleKeyPress(0xad8a8, 0xad8a0, 0x8, 0xad898, 0xef67c2f4, 0xcb5d8), at 0x49478
  [7] DispatchEvent(0x0, 0xad374, 0xad000, 0xefffbd70, 0xf, 0xefffbd50), at 0x487c8
  [8] HandleEvents(0xaf6c8, 0xad400, 0x260, 0xadcb0, 0x64, 0x13), at 0x48880
  [9] main(0x1, 0xefffd25c, 0xefffd264, 0xad350, 0x0, 0x0), at 0x55384
(dbx)

This was a noicontitle icon.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:18:40 +0100

> and then iconify any window.

Doesn't core on my machine.

>...
                 ^^^^^^^^^^
>     at ../../version-2_3_14/fvwm/icons.c:941
                  
Perhaps it's the fault of Mikhael's 'reload icons' patch?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:56:40 +0100

>   [9] main(0x1, 0xefffd25c, 0xefffd264, 0xad350, 0x0, 0x0), at 0x55384

Um, that's a different core dump, isn't it?

> This was a noicontitle icon.

Ill look into this one.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:12:36 -0500

> > This was a noicontitle icon.

Sorry, same core file.

I think I trust the dbx output more, gdb was plainly confused.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 02:37:56 +0100

> I think I trust the dbx output more, gdb was plainly confused.

That *can't* be true.  If gdb had been confused if would
*certainly* not have shown a proper execution path.  What
gdb displayed could really have happened.  I can't believe
it's making up things.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:46:54 -0500

> gdb displayed could really have happened.  I can't believe

I just repeated both traces with the same core file.

Its a little confusing, gdb thinks the last function executed is "_end"
and complains that libc_psr.so.1 is not in executable format.

dbx says there is no mapping at the fault address, and doesn't display
any line numbers.

One of the reasons I used gdb is that dbx wasn't working when I first
tried it.  I think our support staff has been fooling around with it,
I had to call them to get it working.

So, sorry for  the spotty problem report.  Hopefully  it won't be hard
to find or reproduce.  There really is a  problem, I first saw it with
last week's CVS, updated, compiled, and tried again.

---

From: Brad Giaccio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:43:23 -0500

> last week's CVS, updated, compiled, and tried again.

Dan, 
a simple rule of thumb should clear this up.
gcc then use gdb
/opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc use dbx 

now which compiler did you use?

Brad
 
-- 
--- There are two kinds of knowledge, you either know the answer or
			you know where to find it
		      -Kane, Johnson, and anonymous
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:58:49 -0500

> now which compiler did you use?

gcc.

gcc is version 2.8.1 and gdb is version 4.14.

dbx was working pretty well for gcc up until yesterday.

I install most of the free software around here, but our support staff
does these.  Maybe I should bring them up to date.   gcc seems to have
been installed this year, but gdb is from 3/96.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 15:31:34 +0100

> last week's CVS, updated, compiled, and tried again.

Er, did I mention that I fixed shortly after you posted the dbx
output? :-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^