Subject: bug list #2 - pager bugs

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 13:25:28 +0200

1) FvwmPager without parameters should default to * not 0.

2) *FvwmPagerBalloonYOffset must be fixed in -1 for positive values.

3) 3d borders in the pager do not work without colorsets.
	[this is documented, but I think it is not difficult to fix]

4) In a small pager, windows fully in the page can cross the border,
   because the minimal size of mini window is at least 3x3 (default).
	[Tim, can something be done about this?]

5) The pager should not set input field to false. Why should it be
   special? One can set NeverFocus if he likes the old behaviour.

6) ESC does not work for move in a pager. At least, pressing on the
   first or third mouse buttons should cancel moving (like in Move).

7) Moving a mini window out of the pager has several serious problems:

   * Esc for canceling a move works unexpected (see also (6)).

   * Drag xterm (tested with XFree-3.3.6 xterm) outside the pager,
   this has an effect of scrolling in xterm to the very top while moving.

   * Seems like always opaque move is used regardless of OpaqueMoveSize.

   * Sometimes the pager enters the interesting mode (I can't reproduce
   this consistently, but I reproduced this 4 times today).
   When a window is dragged from the opaque move can become something
   visually similar to outline move. Restart helps to stop this mode.

   * When not in the mode above, i.e. opaque move is used, sometimes
   weird things happen, FvwmConsole (and sometimes others too) when moved
   from outside the pager allocate a lot of memory or quit without core.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 01:13:34 +0100

> 1) FvwmPager without parameters should default to * not 0.

Please hack this as an enhancement request into Jitterbug.

> 2) *FvwmPagerBalloonYOffset must be fixed in -1 for positive values.

What's wrong with negative offsets?  They work exactly as
described in the man page.  Do you mean with a -1 offset
the balloons should appear two pixels higher than with a
offset of 1?  If so: look at the man page.  There is a reason
why this is not possible.

> 	[this is documented, but I think it is not difficult to fix]

I think that was a conscious decision.  Now that colour sets can
give you all the looks you want there is no reason to further
enhance the old syntax.  I won't spend a single minute in
reimplementing features that are available via colour sets.

>    special?

I don't understand where the problem is.  In X, windows that
don't take keyboard input should set the InputHint to False.

>    first or third mouse buttons should cancel moving (like in Move).

As I said, the pager doesn't handle keyboard input.  Another
enhancement request.

>    * Esc for canceling a move works unexpected (see also (6)).

Can't be fixed.  You can't cancel moves in the pager because
fvwm can't know where the pager started to move the window.

>    this has an effect of scrolling in xterm to the very top while moving.

Shrug.  Why do you think that it's fvwm's fault?  It seems that xterm
doesn't handle some events right when it doesn't have the keyboard
focus.  xev shows that the difference between a normal and a move
from the pager is that xterm doesn't have the focus in the latter
case.  It seems to handle one of the events it gets in this state
incorrectly.  I don't know which, but probably either KeymapNotify
or ConfigureNotify.

>    from outside the pager allocate a lot of memory or quit without core.

All three se same problem.  Because of a bug in the move logic windows
were sent ConfigureNotify events with random width and height (because
some internal variables were uninitialised).  Fixed.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 15:33:56 +0000

>         [this is documented, but I think it is not difficult to fix]

Possibly not difficult but would require a color lookup from the server
and would probably leak colors. Bite the bullet and use colorsets.
>         [Tim, can something be done about this?]

Ys it could be fixed but I don't have the time. The place to fix it is
in the tests on the variable MinSize.  There are 7 places to fix.

Cheers,
Tim.