Subject: Splash screen invisible to fvwm?

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:25:00 -0500 (EST)

I'm using this crappy hunk of software, Clarify (yes, I realize the
irony.  *sigh*)

(Solaris 2.5.1)

When I start it, it creates a splash screen in the middle of my screen
that takes up about a quarter of the real estate.

The splash screen window is completely invisible to fvwm!!  I can't move
it with the Move command, I can't Identify it with the Identify module.
Every window Fvwm creates is placed behind it, and I can't raise any of
them in front of it.  When I move the cursor over the window, it stays
as the root "X" cursor rather than changing to something else.  It has
no borders (of course).  Also, it sticks to the glass when I switch
pages.

I tried setting this:

  BugOpts RaiseOverUnmanaged true

with FvwmConsole but it didn't help.

This wouldn't be so bad, since it does go away after the app starts,
except Clarify take 5 minutes to start on my ULTRA5, 512M RAM -- !
Essentially my system is unusable for 5 minutes while I wait for it to
finish whatever the hell it's doing.

Yep, that's 5 minutes, wall-clock time.  I timed it :-/.  And, my system
load is pegged whilst it's doing so.  What a heap of steaming...

Anyone have any ideas?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 15:45:49 -0500

> I'm using this crappy hunk of software, Clarify (yes, I realize the

Do a "strings" on the executable, pray for a command line argument
or X Resource that supresses the splash screen.

Find the image and replace it with something smaller.

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 2000 16:15:49 -0500

%% Dan Espen <[email-masked]> writes:

  >> I'm using this crappy hunk of software, Clarify (yes, I realize the

  de> Do a "strings" on the executable, pray for a command line argument
  de> or X Resource that supresses the splash screen.

  de> Find the image and replace it with something smaller.

Heh.  Will do.

I guess I'm a little bamboozled.  How in the world can that window get
created in such a way that is is completely impervious to any attempt by
the window manager to manage it, or even *see* it?  What magic is used
here?

I wonder, if I try a different WM, if I'll have the same problem?  Is it
a "deficiency" in FVWM that it can't handle that window or is the
problem WM-agnostic?

---

From: Michael Han <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 13:33:28 -0800

Previously from "Paul D. Smith"
>a "deficiency" in FVWM that it can't handle that window or is the

Hmm, what you describe is exactly how unmanaged windows in WINE
behave, up to the point of using BugOpts to try to get around them. I
don't know if BugOpts affects unmanaged windows in WINE... Maybe I'll
have a look when I get home.
-- 
[email-masked]                         http://www.best.com/~mikehan/
coffee achiever                              San Francisco, California
"Life sucks and I haven't seen the sun in 9 months...  but the coffee
better be good or you're dead." - Seattlite
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Greg J. Badros" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 2000 14:35:11 -0800

> the window manager to manage it, or even *see* it?  What magic is used

Perhaps an OverrideRedirect window (lots of apps use these for menus, e.g.).

> a "deficiency" in FVWM that it can't handle that window or is the

The latter;  even Scwm (http://scwm.mit.edu) will have the problem! :-)

Greg

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 18:51:56 +0100

> Perhaps an OverrideRedirect window (lots of apps use these for menus, e.g.).

Definitely an OverrideRedirect window.  The main problem with such
windows is to realise that one of them has been created.  This is
only possible with XQueryTree on the root window.  The RaiseOverUnmanaged
hack should do exactly this when raising windows.  One pitfall may
be that fvwm doesn't raise windows that are not covered by another
managed window.  So it may be necessary to lower the window first
or to cover it with another window.  I start to wonder if this
logic is really as clever as I initially thought :-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jan 2000 22:37:42 -0500

%% Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]> writes:

  dv> Definitely an OverrideRedirect window.  The main problem with such
  dv> windows is to realise that one of them has been created.  This is
  dv> only possible with XQueryTree on the root window.  The
  dv> RaiseOverUnmanaged hack should do exactly this when raising
  dv> windows.  One pitfall may be that fvwm doesn't raise windows that
  dv> are not covered by another managed window.  So it may be necessary
  dv> to lower the window first or to cover it with another window.  I
  dv> start to wonder if this logic is really as clever as I initially
  dv> thought :-)

But I _can't_ lower it or cover it with another window.  It comes up in
front of every window and, from FVWM's perspective, it's completely
invisible.  No raise will bring anything in front of it, and no FVWM
operation will work on it.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 12:19:07 +0100

> operation will work on it.

I meant you should try to lower or cover the window you want
to raise above the splash screen first.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jan 2000 13:48:07 -0500

>> But I _can't_ lower it or cover it with another window.  It comes
  >> up in front of every window and, from FVWM's perspective, it's
  >> completely invisible.  No raise will bring anything in front of it,
  >> and no FVWM operation will work on it.

  dv> I meant you should try to lower or cover the window you want
  dv> to raise above the splash screen first.

I did that: I cycled through every window with a RaiseLower command; I
even tried iconfying/de-iconifying.  Nothing I have tried will cause an
FVWM window to appear in front of that window :(