Subject: Bad geometry happenings since 2.3.10

From: [email-masked] (lar3ry gensch)
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 12:28:08 -0500 (EST)

First, I'm sorry that I don't always stay on top of the 2.3.x
releases, but I noticed a rather irritating problem happening after
I upgraded to 2.3.13.

The problem:  my text editor (and not OTHER application), when it
pops up, displays its "normal" window.  Then, it immediately resizes
itself to a rather LARGE value.

I did some leg work:

This doesn't happen on fvwm 2.0.45, 2.0.46, 2.2.0, 2.2.4, and 2.3.9. 
Tt does on 2.3.10, 2.3.11, 2.3.12, and 2.3.13.

I used FvwmIdent to get some information on the window size, and it is
resized to a value that is (correct_width * char_width) by (correct
height * char_height).

Using gdb to step the editor, I see that the editor sizes itself using
a default value to an XtNGeometry resource, which is 80x36 (this can
be overridden on the command line or via Xdefaults -- I've tried all
three methods to no avail).

Using gdb, I saw that the program is getting a ConfigureNotify message
with the wrong XtNheight and XtNwidth resources.  I also saw places
in the code where the geometry values could be set; breakpoints on
those lines were never hit before the window went awry.

I did a diff between fvwm 2.3.9 and 2.3.10, and noticed a lot of
geometry handling code was mucked around with.  The program runs
correctly on 2.0.45, 2.0.46, 2.2.0, 2.2.4, and 2.3.9 (as mentioned
above).  Since the program isn't making any explicit calls to set the
height, it could be the X server or the window manager (somehow), but
since this doesn't happen on 2.3.9, I'm inclined to guess it's fvwm2. 

I'm at a loss as to explain what's going on other than describing the
symptoms.

Here's the setup that (should) reproduce the problem:

RedHat 6.1 -- Kernel 2.2.12
Fvwm 2.3.13
XVile 9.1   (ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/vile)

    I built the program using RedHat's Lesstif libraries using the
    configure line:

    	./configure --with-perl --with-scr=motif

Then, just run the program ("xvile") -- it will open an abysmally
large window.

I've not seen this behavior with other programs, although I don't
normally run a lot of different apps... just xterms, netscape, and a
mailer.

-- 
Larry Gensch                                          [email-masked]

                  "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]