Subject: Bug 550?

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 2000 13:17:20 -0500

I entered bug 550 yesterday about 5:45pm (EDT) and it has never shown up
on the mailing list?!?!

Note I didn't log in (for some reason my password doesn't seem to be
working) but instead submitted it using the "public" forum.  Maybe it
got confused?

Anyway, here's the text.  Anyone have any thoughts on this bug?

BTW, I don't see it on my Solaris system which was last updated from CVS
around 11:20am 6 Jan 2000.  I'll try updating to the latest and see if I
see the same problem, and I'll keep the current FvwmAuto and see if I can
isolate it to that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 17:47:09 -0600 (CST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Getting lots of confused pointers

Full_Name: Paul Smith
Version: 2.3.13
CVS_Date: 6:30pm EDT Jan 13 2000
OS: Linux 2.2.14 / Debian potato
X_Server: XF86_SVGA 3.3.5
Submission from: (NULL) (192.32.171.80)

Ever since I updated a few days ago, I've been having real
focus problems.

I use FvwmAuto (Module FvwmAuto 500).  You know how every now
and then, if you hit it just right, after you exit a popup
menu or iconify a window or something you get the "init"
cursor (used to be a dot, now it's a crosshair) and you have
to click once to get rid of it?

Well, that happens a lot less with 2.2.x and older 2.3.x
versions; some work was done to help it in the 2.1 betas I
think.

But, as of a bit ago it's back with a _vengeance_, worse
than it ever was before.  I can get it to happen with almost
every single click on a Netscape popup menu for example:
that means both menus like Bookmarks and also selection lists
in HTML pages as well.  Note I've been using this Netscape
(4.08 Navigator) for a _long_ time, and nothing else on my
system has changed either.

I don't know if Chris's changes to FvwmAuto for signal handling
might be involved or not, but it's definitely a problem.

Anyone else see this?

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Paul D. Smith <[email-masked]>         Network Management Development
 "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   These are my opinions---Nortel Networks takes no responsibility for them.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Jan 2000 14:33:31 -0500

%% "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]> writes:

  pds> BTW, I don't see it on my Solaris system which was last updated
  pds> from CVS around 11:20am 6 Jan 2000.  I'll try updating to the
  pds> latest and see if I see the same problem, and I'll keep the
  pds> current FvwmAuto and see if I can isolate it to that.

Uh oh.  I can't reproduce this on my Solaris system with CVS as of this
morning.  I tried updating just FvwmAuto and that worked, then I updated
all of fvwm and installed but it still works.

I'll have to experiment more with my Linux box when I get home.

---

From: Jason L Tibbitts III <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jan 2000 01:59:07 -0600

>>>>> "PDS" == Paul D Smith <[email-masked]> writes:

PDS> I entered bug 550 yesterday about 5:45pm (EDT) and it has never shown
PDS> up on the mailing list?!?!

I must approve mail from fvwm-bug, otherwise the list gets flooded with
Jitterbug notifications.  I was not able to approve messages yesterday
because I was away being treated for arthritis in my right wrist.  Even now
I am only able to use my machine for limited amounts of time.

 - J<

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 22:05:34 +0100

> see the same problem, and I'll keep the current FvwmAuto and see if I can

I think this is related to Olivier's BusyCursor patches.
I have seen similary things happen with KDE menus.  Does
turning off the BusyCursor for all contexts help?

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jan 2000 22:34:52 -0500

>> Anyone else see this?

  dv> I think this is related to Olivier's BusyCursor patches.
  dv> I have seen similary things happen with KDE menus.  Does
  dv> turning off the BusyCursor for all contexts help?

Hmm.  Reading the docs for BusyCursor it does sound suspiciously like
what's going on.

Well, it's off (according to the docs) by default for all contexts I'd
think it matters in--Also I just did:

  BusyCursor * false

in FvwmConsole and it's still happening.  Maybe just turning it off
like that isn't enough to get rid of the problem?

Olivier / someone, is there an easy way to "comment out" this part of
the code and recompile to see if this is the culprit?

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 21:16:53 +0100

> the code and recompile to see if this is the culprit?

Hello,
I do not see why the BusyCursor patch can cause your problem. But, in
fact I do not really understand exactly your problems (you know my
english is not very good ...).
Unfortunately, there are no simple way to comment out the busy cursor
patch. Any way, it is programmed like a cpp patch (when I done it, 
some repatch it), if (busycursorforthis) then ....
You may also try to disable it completely using:
BusyCursor read false, recapture false, ...etc
Any way I will do a BusyCursor patch review.
Olivier

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jan 2000 02:01:19 -0500

%% Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]> writes:

  oc> I do not see why the BusyCursor patch can cause your problem. But, in
  oc> fact I do not really understand exactly your problems (you know my
  oc> english is not very good ...).
  oc> Unfortunately, there are no simple way to comment out the busy cursor
  oc> patch. Any way, it is programmed like a cpp patch (when I done it, 
  oc> some repatch it), if (busycursorforthis) then ....
  oc> You may also try to disable it completely using:
  oc> BusyCursor read false, recapture false, ...etc

I tried "BusyCursor * false" already and that had no effect.

OK, I just retrieved the latest CVS code and build a new, from-scratch
fvwm with:

  $ configure --enable-gnome --disable-busy-cursor

I verified that the BUSYCURSOR macro was not defined in config.h.

The problem, however, is still there and seems completely unaffected.

Olivier, the problem is this: quite often (almost every single time)
after I have used a Netscape menu, either popup or from a menu bar, or
even a pulldown list on a CGI web page, after the menu/list/whatever
disappears there's about a second's pause where I see a "normal" cursor,
then my cursor changes to a crosshair cursor (not an X, but a +, exactly
the same cursor you get when you invoke FvwmIdent and it wants you to
pick a window).

I believe I've seen the problem happen with other apps, too, but I don't
use many apps besides Netscape that have menus.  I can't seem to make it
happen with Emacs' menus, though.

Once this appears, nothing happens until I click the mouse.  I can move
the mouse but focus doesn't change (I use FvwmAuto); I can type but
nothing appears.  Once I click, everything is fine.

I'll try playing with my fvwm configuration and see if I can find
something that's causing this to happen, since it doesn't happen with my
Solaris box at work, only my Linux box at home.

I have been using the same Netscape (navigator 4.08) and the same X
server (XFree86 3.3.5 SVGA) for a long time now; this started happening
with fvwm from CVS within the last month or so I believe.

Does anyone else see this?

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jan 2000 02:14:19 -0500

OK, I've tested it and it's definitely a problem with FvwmAuto.

If I comment out FvwmAuto and restart, I don't see the problem.  I'll
look at it further.

---

From: "Paul D. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jan 2000 02:20:59 -0500

pds> OK, I've tested it and it's definitely a problem with FvwmAuto.
  pds> If I comment out FvwmAuto and restart, I don't see the problem.
  pds> I'll look at it further.

Urk!

Looking more closely at FvwmAuto.c I noticed that I still had version
1.10, dated August sometime.  That didn't seem right, so I used cvs
status and somehow that file had a sticky tag for 1.10 set!  So far as I
can tell, that's the _only_ file in my FVWM source tree with a sticky
tag set.

Weird.

Anyway, after I forced CVS to grab the latest version (1.22 !!) and
recompiled and re-installed (with the busy-cursor stuff enabled) it
works, no problems.  No wonder it worked on my Sun; I'm using a
different source tree there.

Sigh.  Nevermind.