Subject: Suggestion - FormFvwm

From: Nadim Saeed <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 12:28:27 -0800 (PST)

Dan,
   it would be really useful to have a 4-5 line section above the 'Command:'
line in "FormFvwmTalk." so as to see a history of the commands entered (the
ability to cut-n-paste from there would be ideal as well).

For the brave, 
  If one were to take it a step further, add a scrollbar to the 4-5 line
  section (suggested above) and keep the entire history.

For the braver yet,
  If one were to take it even further, add the response (or "Msg:") in the 4-5
  line section in a different color (red/blue/whatever) to each command so the
  user could clearly see what fvwm spewed back.

I realize that I can see the history of last 50 commands as noted in the
man file,

 "When a form executes a command, all the input values are
  saved in a ring of input history 50 items deep.

  Meta(mod2)-"<" retrieves the previous value of an  input
  field.   Meta(mod2)-">"  retrieves  the next value of an
  input field."

It would also be neat to scroll through the history of the commands a'la-TCSH
or BASH (using up/down-arrow keys or ^p/^n).

So, I'm guessing, the following would be necessary,

 *FvwmFormHistory box-width NUM
       /* specify number of lines in history/dialog box
          example: 5	 <-- 5 lines visible ONLY
	           5x100 <-- 5 lines visible & history of 100 is kept, thus a 
		             scrollbar is automatically required
        */

 *FvwmFormMessageHistory
       /* specifies to keep message replies in History/Dialog box
        */

 - Nadim

--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:31:18 +0000

>   section (suggested above) and keep the entire history.

I think you want FvwmConsole. Compile it with readline and you can have
a history of whatever size you want.  You can search the history too and
navigate around with the arrow keys. It runs in a xterm (or whatever
term you want) so you can have scrollbars to view the past.
>   user could clearly see what fvwm spewed back.
FvwmConsole doesn't do color coding but your commands are displayed with
any reponses interleaved so they are easy to link together.

> or BASH (using up/down-arrow keys or ^p/^n).
Readline lets you configure your editing keys to just about anything.

Cheers,
Tim.