Subject: Possible to select between two window names?

From: [email-masked] (lar3ry gensch)
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 15:53:11 -0500 (EST)

Is it possible two write a function that selects between multiple
window names in fvwm2.2?

For example, I have a fvwm2 function that will cycle between all my
xterm windows:

    DestroyFunc     "warp-to-terminal"
    AddToFunc       "warp-to-terminal" \
      "I"   Next ("xterm") Raise-Focus-And-Warp

Now, say I have multiple terminal window types:  xterm, cmdtool,
gnome-terminal, kterm, etc.

Is there a way to have a similar function cycle between all the
windows of a sub-type?

Something like:

      "I"   Next ("xterm" | "kterm" | "cmdtool") Raise-Focus-And-Warp

If this cannot be done in 2.2, is there any new functionality in 2.3
that will allow for this?

I use this kind of technique to add key bindings to my otherwise-
unused numeric keypad.  "Enter" cycles between all web browser
windows, "+" does the same for my mailer, "-" cycles between all
editor windows, "*" cycles between all terminal windows, etc.

If this isn't possible under 2.2 or 2.3, maybe we could consider it
for inclusion in 2.5?

-- 
Larry Gensch                                          [email-masked]

                  "May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 02:11:37 +0100

>       "I"   Next ("xterm" | "kterm" | "cmdtool") Raise-Focus-And-Warp

You could try this:

  + I Next (xterm) Raise-Focus-And-Warp
  + I Current (!xterm) Next (kterm) Raise-Focus-And-Warp
  + I Current (!xterm) Current (!kterm) Next (cmdtool) Raise-Focus-And-Warp

Granted, it's a bit unwieldy, but it should work.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:43:44 -0500 (EST)

> Granted, it's a bit unwieldy, but it should work.

I don't mind unweildy, as long as it works.  I'll try it out.  Thanks!

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:50:18 +0100

> I don't mind unweildy, as long as it works.  I'll try it out.  Thanks!

But it won't work :(  It will cycle through xterms only as long
as there is at least one.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

-- 
Dominik Vogt, Agilent Technologies, Dept. BVS
Herrenberger Str.130, 71034 Boeblingen, Germany
phone: 07031/464-4596, fax: 07031/464-3883, [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Tim Phipps <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 14:03:49 +0000

> Is it possible two write a function that selects between multiple

NO, it would require an OR operator in the conditions to "Next" which
fvwm doesn't have.
> Is there a way to have a similar function cycle between all the
If you only want this for terms you may be able to do it with
wild-cards.  Most x-terms have escape sequences to set the window or
icon name. If you can get all your terms to have some pattern in their
name then you can select on that pattern.  I have tim@$HOSTNAME in al my
term titles so I can select them with "Next (tim@*) ..."

Cheers,
Tim.