Subject: name convention

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 19:25:12 +0200

On 27 Dec 1999 06:18:29 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:
> 
> I think we should use the same rules for everything we install.
> We are currently installing config files and forms.
> 
[...]
> ConfigFvwmBanner
[...]
> FormFvwmTalk.
[...]
> ScriptFvwmFind

I had to reply to this sooner before Olivier's last commits.

I don't think that having files of different types thrown in the same
place is good. Instead of encoding tree structure in the file name
I prefer to create subdirectories for each file type:

Config/FvwmBanner, Form/FvwmTalk., Script/FvwmFind.

Read Config/FvwmBanner
FvwmForm Form/FvwmTalk.
FvwmScript Script/FvwmFind

The standard menu or function names (since they are not files) may remain
without (or with) a slash: MenuFvwmRoot.

I prefer to have subdirectories for image types too: mini/xterm.xpm,
side/fvwm.xpm, norm/calculator.xpm; mostly for future projects.

This also applies to $FVWM_USERHOME, there are many types of files we
want to place there, I prefer to see only subdirectories in it (like
themes/) and maybe one rc file.

About .FvwmAnimation and .fvwmrc-script-setting. I think they should be
in the same subdirectory as other config files, i.e. Config/FvwmAnimate
and Config/ScriptSettings or similar.

All this is mostly name convention issues. I will implement this
if you agree.

I want also to change the default of $FVWM_USERHOME to $HOME/.fvwm, not
$HOME, if not specified; and create $FVWM_USERHOME if it does not exist.
The Read logic would be backward compatible for some time.

Regards,
Mikhael.
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dan Espen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 16:29:02 -0500

> All this is mostly name convention issues. I will implement this

As you say, the various ways this can be done, seem to be based on
preferences.  You haven't mentioned any particular advantage to
going one way or the other.

I'm tempted to say, go for it, since it doesn't matter too much to me
which way this is done, as long as its done consistently.

I think there may be some reasons to stay with the current
flat organization.

1. Less change to existing code  (theres quite a bit of code and
docs based on the current scheme.)
2. Its inherently simpler  (just a filename, no directory/filename)
3. Existing configs don't have to be altered
4. You can see everything you have at once

> The Read logic would be backward compatible for some time.

There was quite a bit of discussion of FVWM_USERHOME back when it was
first coded.  I had my opinion about how it should be done, which is
not exactly how its done now.

I think you should describe, in more detail what you plan to do.

If you  had  (or forced)  all  existing config files into  $HOME/.fvwm
wouldn't   that  lessen  the    need for  putting     config  files in
sub-directories?  (Actually sub-sub-directories.)

--
Dan Espen
444 Hoes Lane  Room RRC 1C-214           E-mail: [email-masked]
Piscataway, NJ 08854                     Phone: (732) 699-5570
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 00:40:41 +0200

> 4. You can see everything you have at once

I am aware of all this, but once it is done, you will not notice a
difference (is ConfigFvwmBacker simpler than config/FvwmBacker?).

There is only one advantage to the subdir scheme - forms are not mixed
with scripts and other types, and if you have 10 file types and 10 files
for each you don't end up with a directory containing 100 files.

> not exactly how its done now.

Yes, I remember that discussion between you and Steve.

> sub-directories?  (Actually sub-sub-directories.)

Actually it was the original argument for subdirectories. Is it effective
to have all these files in one ~/.fvwm without subdirectories:

  user themes (has its own subdirectory structure)
  user images (may have its own subdirectory structure)
  user sounds
  user configs
  user forms
  user scripts
  fvwm-menu-headlines files, Dominik says they should be in ~/.fvwm
  other fvwm-menu files, like .fvwm-menu-directory.dir

and I am sure we will have more file types in the near future.
But if the majority decides that the current flat organization is better,
so be it.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2000 06:46:54 +0100

> > 4. You can see everything you have at once

As always, I agree more or less to Dan about naming conventions
and file tree issues :)

> for each you don't end up with a directory containing 100 files.

How about a compromise:

  - All config files are kept in the same directory (~.,fvwm if you will)
  - Script like sub files get their own subdirectories, e.g.

     ~/.fvwm/FvwmScripts
     ~/.fvwm/FvwmForms
     ~/.fvwm/FvwmGtkMenus

This would keep the number of files and the number of directories in
~/.fvwm low.  At the same time scripts of the same types are kept
together and all configs are too.  So you don't have to page through
dozens of directories to e.g. adapt all your modules to the colour
set scheme.

>   user themes (has its own subdirectory structure)

Oh, I see.  That doesn't fit well into my suggestion above.

>   user images (may have its own subdirectory structure)

Why should sounds or images be located in our config directory?

> But if the majority decides that the current flat organization is better,

I trust that something sensible will come out of the discussion
without my vote :-)

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Mikhael Goikhman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 22:58:51 +0200

> Oh, I see.  That doesn't fit well into my suggestion above.

It fits ok (just like into any other solution). It is independent enough.

> Why should sounds or images be located in our config directory?

They should not, it is a convention only for users who want to know
where to put them.

Ok, let's go by small steps introducing ~/.fvwm first.

Regards,
Mikhael.

---

From: Olivier Chapuis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 07:45:29 +0100

> > > The Read logic would be backward compatible for some time.

I am agree with this. Now days, there are a lot of .*rc file in an home
directory, This allows to reduce this number.
Olivier