Subject: Window position change?

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 13:05:24 +0000

Is there anything obvious that's gone into CVS since 2.3.8 that would
cause a window opened at (0,0) make the window now come up with it's
client-pane's (0,0) at top-left, with fvwm decor off-screen, instead of
previous versions which placed the /decor/ (i.e., title-bar) at (0,0)?

  It seems to have gone in pre 2.3.12.

  Not that I think it's fvwm's fault, but the symptom in this particular
app. is an endless loop of plot client at 0,0, move so that decor is at
0,0, move client back to 0,0 (decor off-screen), etc, etc.

  I can't figure out *why* it's doing this (as it doesn't do it
everytime), but when it doesn't do it my window titles come up off-screen,
which they didn't do in 2.3.8, so I'm assuming that that's somehow
involved.

-- 
=====================- http://www.racaldefence.com/ -===================
  Neil Bird                      |
                                 |            This .signature is
    mailto:[email-masked]  |          certified Y2K compliant
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:04:09 +0100

> 0,0, move client back to 0,0 (decor off-screen), etc, etc.

What client windows do this?  I've noticed it a few times with
netscape windows, but I long stopped wondering about netscape :)

> which they didn't do in 2.3.8, so I'm assuming that that's somehow

Bye

Dominik ^_^

--
Dominik Vogt, [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
--
Visit the official FVWM web page at <URL:http://www.fvwm.org/>.
To unsubscribe from the list, send "unsubscribe fvwm-workers" in the
body of a message to [email-masked].
To report problems, send mail to [email-masked]

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 09:19:09 +0000

Dominik Vogt wrote:
> > client-pane's (0,0) at top-left, with fvwm decor off-screen, ...
> 

  :-/

  Unfortunately, it's an app. we build using a, frankly, increasingly
ropey GUI builder. What *it* does sometimes is beyond me, and a lot of the
timeit really gets my goat!

  The problem occurs because when creating a window, one *has* to
(effectively) give a specific WxH+x+Y geometry (so I can't let it come up
'naturally'). Since it runs natively without a WM, we have to plop it at
(0,0), full-screen on an 800x600 display.

  Like I say, I can't get at it's core to see the exact calls it's making
to pop the window up at 0,0. I've not actually been able yet to make
another app. do the same - the few I've tried that accept '-geometry'
commands come up with FVWM decor at 0,0 as expected.

  I'll try to find the time to xscope the window creation and see if that
gives any hints.

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 12:04:52 +0000

> netscape windows, but I long stopped wondering about netscape :)

  Attached. The window comes up as 1x1+0+0, then moves to 800x600+0+0
(what the app. does). I'd expect it to put the WM decor at (0,0), but this
comes up off screen (it locates the decor at (0,0) under CDE, for
example).

  ... unfortunately, fvwm2.3.8 seems to get it 'wrong' as well as 2.3.12,
even though my app., which 'fails' under 2.3.12 comes up OK under 2.3.8
...

  I checked the xscope output of it bringing the window up, but anything
relevant is lost in the noise of it doing everything else that it seems to
want to do :-(

  I suppose the question is: where *should* the window go if moved to
(0,0)?

#include <fnx.h>

main()
{
   Display *dpy;
   Window   win;

   dpy = XOpenDisplay("");
   win = XCreateSimpleWindow( dpy, XDefaultRootWindow(dpy),
      0,0, 1,1, 0, 0, 0 );

   XMapWindow( dpy, win );
   XFlush( dpy );

   sleep(2);

   XMoveResizeWindow( dpy, win, 0,0, 800,600 );
   XFlush( dpy );

   sleep(2);

   XCloseDisplay(dpy);
}

---

From: Dominik Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 13:01:09 +0100

> which they didn't do in 2.3.8, so I'm assuming that that's somehow

Duh, I let you mislead me :-)  What you see has always happened
before (2.3.6, 2.3.1, .20.46, ...).

Despite of what the ICCCM2 says about ConfigureRequests,
Most applications seem to demand that the WM ignores the border
and title dimensions when reacting on a CR.  One example is xv.
With the change I made fvwm screws up Ctrl-Left, ... presses in
the picture window.  I've backed out my earlier patch.

Bye

Dominik ^_^

---

From: Neil Bird <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:50:44 +0000

> the picture window.  I've backed out my earlier patch.

  The windows still come up with titles off-screen in the current snap.

  I could accept this if I knew the correct way to position a window, with
a given size (of user canvas), with the WM decor taken into account.

  I.e., where *should* I ask the window to be put to correclt align it
top-left? Is there a WM hint to read that gives the current dimension
overheads of the window decor?

  My wibbling windows problem seems to have gone away since 2.3.12, though
(?).